Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

We'er moving!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Tabitha, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    No, no, not yet, but soon. We'er still looking for a house but I've already started packing. I'm not excited to leave am I?!:winkgrin:

First off what should I do with the dogs when we find our new home? What steps should I to take to prepare them? How do seniors usually react? F-kap will have to stay in a belly band for the first few days since he's decided to mark EVERYTHING that's outside of our house (including the inside of other peoples houses). I'm really not all too worried about the girls, they always seem to adjust to changes well. What I am worried about are the boys. F-kap because he's getting older and Jody because he's sooooo skittish around new things. Looking at him in everyday life you wouldn't think he would be, he's so curious and excited about everything... so it may seem. But when he get's scared he freaks out! I'm wondering if there's anything I can do that would make the experience less traumatic for him?

I'll probably come back to this thread more than once to ask even more questions within the next month or two, but I figure this is enough for now.:wink2:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  2. Greenepony

Greenepony Forums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012
    The actual process of moving stresses Olive out far more than adjusting to a new home (even if the flooring is different). People moving things in and out and even just boxing things is a lot of activity, especially for a nervous dog. At the very least crate or contain them in a secure room when people are going in and out. I'm considering having Olive stay with her sitters when we do our final move out and clean this next time to cause less stress (she likes it there.)

3. Mally's Mom

Mally's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009
    Illinois
    I totally agree with what was said above.

Our Mally was more stressed the day of the move. All the people going in and out, moving stuff onto the truck, etc.

Once at the new place, he settled right in, looked for "his" old couch and plopped right down on it! We had his toys in a basket near by, and he was ready to go!

Seems like all he really cares about it being with his people. He has found new favorite places to take it easy. We have ceramic tile here in the kitchen. Mally loves lying under the kitchen table. That's his new lair. (tile is nice and cool)

No accidents or markings here at the new place.

Main problem is no fenced in yard yet. So I have been walking him around the neighborhood to go potty, but we have no sidewalks.

All and all he handled the move way better than I did! (We have been here now a month tomorrow)

Mally is 9 years old now. Tabitha, maybe F-kap will surprise you at the new place and have no markings or accidents.

4. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    My advice - find someone to watch the dogs the day of the move. This way, less chance of them getting out and getting lost.

5. Mally's Mom

Mally's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009
    Illinois
    Great advice! I wish we would have thought to do this with our with Mally, the day of our move. Mally did not get out or lost, but he was stressed.

6. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    It was difficult when Dad and I moved. I can't remember what we did with the dogs - I think we blocked them out on the deck. In our new place, we had a temporary fence up so they could go out in the yard.

7. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011
    My dogs have never gotten stressed over a move. I sent them to their crates. Then moved them into the new house. I had a cat that got very stressed the first time we moved. I moved the cat first. From them on, I moved the belongings, then the cat. I think when he saw all of his things still with him, he did better.

8. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    We moved over several trips and several days so the dogs and I trooped back and forth. They honestly didn't care one single bit. Of course, we have traveled to hotels and camped plenty so they just went with the whole thing. I even took our dogs back to the old place when I was touching up the paint and they were fine with it.

Let me just say THANK GOD you are moving away from the crazies!

9. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Lexi was more stressed by the packing than anything else. Things were changing around her and that worried her. I just made sure to allow her time to snuggle with me, and kept up all the fun things she enjoyed even if we were busy or stressed packing up.

The big reminder is to make sure that you get updated tags with your new address on them before you move. We had ours ready to go the day we moved in. Also, make sure your microchip address is updated as soon as possible.

And yes, having the dogs elsewhere as the furniture goes in and out is great. We left our guys with my parents until all the major stuff was in. That way we didn't have to worry about them.

10. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    Knowing of all the problems you have had with your neighbors I can't help but be happy for you. I hope you find a new place quickly and are able to move soon.

Good luck!