Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Bleeding from Butt - HGE

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Caro, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Hemorrhagic gastroentiritis (HGE) - it's a new one for me and as shelties are a prone to it and it can be fatal, it's worth keeping in mind.

On Saturday we had a flyball competition at the Sydney Easter Show - it was Deska's retirement comp. Sydney is a 3-4hr drive from here and we went with a friend and stayed overnight. As the show is huge dogs had to be in by 7.15am and were not permitted to leave until 5pm.

Just before we left on Friday Deska got a little diarrhea, but nothing else after that. In the early hours he got restless and pooped in the hotel room. When we got to the Show the diarrhea started and after a while it turned from brown to bright blood. Every time he walked around more blood came from his behind.

I was very lucky the flyball had a break at 11am for a celebrity vet to appear, and I asked the vet to look at Deska. He then got the Show vets and in the end we had a flotilla of vets on hand who gave him some electrolytes. But later in the day he was listless and dehydrated again. They put him on a drip and at 5pm we carried him to my friend's car for the long drive home (don't get me started about how angry I am we didn't go straight to an emergency vet). I went to the late night vet when we got home and she diagnosed HGE and gave him more fluids and antibiotics.

He is still exhausted and weak but has the sparkle back in his eyes. The vet said if he hadn't had that drip in Sydney he wouldn't have made it. A friend (who is currently walking Tully for me) had a Sheltie that died from HGE.

So if your Sheltie starts pooping blood get them to the vet and keep them hydrated, it's better to be safe. There is no known cause and it comes on very quickly.

2. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Wow, Caro.

That is so scary. Thanks so much for taking the time to type out this memo so we can use it as a precautionary measure so that everyone gets medical treatment ASAP if they find themselves in that position.

I am glad that things are now on the mend!

3. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    I am so glad that Deska is doing better. HGE is very scary.

Justice had a bout many years ago when I was visiting my parents in SD 9 hrs from home. We were also there doing an obedience show. Justice Q'd but he was not right, he had some minor diarrhea as I was packing to go home. 1 hour into the trip, he started having bloody diarrhea. I had fluids, sucralfate, inj pepcid and metronidazole with me for my kidney dog(in case, she got stomach ulcers), Jazz and started giving him fluids though out the trip home and a dose of all the stomach meds. As it was he spent 2 days on IV after I got home. I shrudder to think what may have happened if I didn't have the meds to start right way. Sunday in rural SD=no vet e clinic

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Caro- so glad that you were able to get help for Deska and that he'll be ok:yes:
    thanks for the info

5. Megansmom

Megansmom Forums Sage

Dec 4, 2009
    Texas
    Oh my goodness I would have been terrified seeing something like coming from one of my pets! So glad he is getting better...sorry you all had to go through that. :no:

6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I can't think of anything more frightening to be far away from home and have to deal with something like this. Good for you for acting right away and not trying to get him home, Caro. I'm so glad he's going to be OK and thank you for sharing the information with us. Pats to Deska....get better!

7. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Oh Caro, I'm so glad Deska is starting to feel better. I can't imagine going through that ordeal. Give him a few pets for me.

8. 3Stars

3Stars Forums Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Serendipity had HGE a few years ago, and then a recurrence a few months later. It was absolutely horrible - I brought her to an emergency vet appt because she started throwing up bright red blood - they gave her a shot to stop her from throwing up, sent her back home, and told me to come back in the morning! By 7 a.m., she had a bright trail of blood dripping from her bottom and she was pooping blood - it was one of the worst/scariest days of my life. It makes it even scarier when they don't know the cause. I'm so glad you caught it in time - apparently a lot of owners and vets don't. :(

9. rose

rose Forums Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2011
    washington
    much thanks about posting this. i never knew, and that could hit so suddenly.
    glad Deska is doing better

10. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Caro, I have cold sweats just reading this. Thank heavens everything worked out -- someone up there was surely looking out for Deska. I never even heard of this -- I'm going to be watching butts like a maniac for a month now!!