Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Training class

Discussion in 'Agility' started by helps, Apr 1, 2014.

1. helps

helps Forums Enthusiast

Feb 21, 2011
    CR, Europe
    Last Sunday we had a blust running and training with my friends. Our trainer for that day was another friend, girl who's little younger than me, but she's been representing our country on EO and such in the past with her sheltie and now she's got herself pyrshep. I knew she'd come up with original and fun courses because she always keeps up with trends, new handling styles etc. She also attended Silvia Trkman's camp in the past few times. Definitely wanna train with her again :biggrin2: We had rather long pause from competing but in two weeks we're gonna try and enjoy some fun A3 courses. Hopefully we can do it and run clean :smile2:

Short video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52v6Gkj-jCA&feature=share&list=UUG6WDwgOS3WQkuIedODMg9Q

2. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    Very impressive! Love the speed and energy! Lovely lovely moves!
    I would like to ask couple questions, at 0.58 why do you make a choice of the wrap and not slice the jump?
    Also what do you use at 1.10 to pull her around that jump which kinda obvious on the way- just the side change or you use verbal etc? same goes for 1.13 how does dog know not to go into tunnel and take the jump?
    Love your handling!

3. helps

helps Forums Enthusiast

Feb 21, 2011
    CR, Europe
    Thank you, you're too nice. I'm happy you enjoyed the vid.

@0.58 you mean jump right before the tunnel? Well, we were told by the trainer to wrap the jump like that - I would think twice about it with large dog, but I think it's fastest way for small/medium dogs (given dog has tight turns).

@1.10 not really any command, just body (shoulders, legs) directed at the jump and when you see dog is commited you turn. I know few people had dogs turning left on that jump instead of taking right wing but they were turning away too soon.

@1.13 we were given advice to run towards the bar not the wing itself (you notice wing is well visible for the dog) because if you cover the wing with your body and dog doesn't see wing he'd run into the tunnel. it proved to be good advice and i didn't need any additional commands for that.
    If I'd use any verbal commands for turn it'd be @1.10 jump but at that speed I didn't use any at the end and it worked ok just with body language.

I guess it depends on the dog though. Mine is very dependant on me and he's sensitive, watching out for every cue.
    Hope at least some of this makes sense to you :biggrin2: If you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer them.

4. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    Thank you for answering! Love how responsive your pup is.

5. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    Gorgeous video. Poetry in motion, the pair of you. I had the same questions as sheltieche, so glad she asked them first:biggrin2: You look so calm running. Lovely.

6. helps

helps Forums Enthusiast

Feb 21, 2011
    CR, Europe
    Thank you so much. Though I have to admit it's not always like this and I'm not this calm at competitions. Not at all :wink2: That's probably why we usually make some mistakes competing. Also last year we tried for nationals and maybe it was me being incredibly nervous but my pup looked at me like he saw all the obstacles for the first time and wasn't responsive at all :lol: I'm wondering how we're gonna do at our upcoming trial.

7. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    You both look fantastic! I feel your pain at shows. I get so nervous and all worked up at shows. Although, I am even a little nervous in class. :uhoh:

8. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    I knew I would get in trouble with those two spots, on your tape 1.10 and 1.13. My dogs are trained to run the line unless told otherwise same as Silvia teaches, I believe, however I am late with my cues most of the time. Although it was easier than I thought to resolve it. Thanks for ideas!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilVGql_bI7g

9. helps

helps Forums Enthusiast

Feb 21, 2011
    CR, Europe
    @take4roll10 thank you :) I hope it gets better once I get back to competing on a regular basis but it's still gonna take some time I think. I feel really fine and happy at trainings, mostly confident, but competing is another story. :ick :lol:

@SheltieChe wow, that's lovely. Great to see your vid from training. That's actually pretty good for first attempts. I think as long as we concentrate and give the right cues dogs are gonna make right decision... Sounds easy huh :lol: I was honestly surprised, too that even though tunnel was close dog would take the jump but letting wing of the jump visible really did the trick for most of us.

BTW, if you want I could throw link to our regular training class we had yday. Little crazy course but there were some interesting parts too.

10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    we always love training videos:yes:

haven't tried your setup from the earlier video but would like to- if I can find somewhere to do it:winkgrin