Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Serious not eating problem

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Marie Hay, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Marie Hay

Marie Hay Forums Novice

Jul 26, 2014
    Texas
    12yr male Sheltie went from eating 1 1/2c daily to 2tbs! Happened 9mos ago and recovered. Vet couldn't find health problem. Changed vets when this happened 2nd time. Still can't pinpoint problem. Waiting on bloodworm results still. Any suggestions???

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    What food is he eating, and what does he weigh? 1 1/2 cups is a lot of food! My dogs eat 1/4 cup twice a day. Does he have any other health issues?

3. Marie Hay

Marie Hay Forums Novice

Jul 26, 2014
    Texas
    Hi, Ann. He has weighed 20-22lbs with no other health issues .. Except for the Tremors mostly in rear legs. I have tried boiled ckn, ckn broth from the boiled ckn, ckn n rice in can, scrambled him an egg. Ate all of these items at different times, but never more than a heaping tbs at any feeding ... Offering fresh food 3-4 times daily. Still has a lot of energy and will run and play when we walk. Is not throwing up that I know of.

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    In my experience, when they don't eat there's a reason. If he's fine otherwise, has anything changed in his environment? Sometimes stress can put them off their food.

I have a friend whose puppy stopped eating suddenly. She tried feeding all kinds of things including fresh food, had every medical test you can think of done and they were all normal but the puppy still wouldn't eat. I had her try using Dr. Harvey's pre-mix food and that did it. She's eating and has regained the weight she lost. It might not help if there's a medical reason but if there isn't, it might be worth a try. You can also call and talk to Dr. Harvey and he'll advise for free on the phone. They have several kinds but this is the one I've used. Here's a link.
    http://www.drharveys.com/products/show/12-canine-health-the-miracle-dog-food

Good luck and let us know how he is!

5. Marie Hay

Marie Hay Forums Novice

Jul 26, 2014
    Texas
    Ty, Ann. Several large pet stores within 30miles. I will see if any are open today. I have had Chance since he was 5wks old. He goes with me on trips and is my constant companion. Yep ... He is one of my kids. Will give it a whirl after church. And yes. Eventho it may seem silly to some, i do thank The Lord and pray for my buddy all the time.

6. Marie Hay

Marie Hay Forums Novice

Jul 26, 2014
    Texas
    Just want to pass this on ... I read somewhere on this forum about feeding an ailing dog sweet potatoes. I am at the point to try anything reasonable in an attempt to help my Sheltie Chance. Long story, short version .. He did eat a good Tbs of it along with 1Tbs of can dog food that he was liking previously. It's not much, but he and I discussed the first bite and once he tasted it, he ate willingly. Sent a message to Dr Harvey's asking about local retail outlet. If no go, I will order.

7. Marie Hay

Marie Hay Forums Novice

Jul 26, 2014
    Texas
    Vet got report ... Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever and Ehrlichia canis. Both are associated with ticks .. Which Chance did have a tick about two months ago. And both are cureable with meds, which I got ASAP and done that chore already!! Ty, Lord for taking care of my pet.

8. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    I'm glad you were able to figure out what is wrong with your doggy. Hopefully once the meds kick in he goes back to eating normal :hugs

9. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    Great news that you found out what is wrong to make Chance not want to eat... and even better news that it is treatable!

10. ellenspn

ellenspn Forums Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2014
    Swamps of NE Illinois
    What a relief it is something curable!!!