Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Ears again

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Abigail's Mom, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Abigail's Mom

Abigail's Mom Forums Regular

May 30, 2010
    Nevada/Oregon
    Abigail is going to be 10 months old next week. I had left her ears unglued for a few weeks. She has tiny ears to match the rest of her and they tipped ever so slightly, but yesterday I was thinking are they starting to come up and then my husband asked the very same question......so glued they are again.
    Should I give it until she is a year? It looks like all of her teeth have cut through, although, they are all not set yet.
    Here is a recent picture of unglued.

AbigailPicnic.jpg

2. RonandJan

RonandJan Forums Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009
    Windward, FL
    Good Gracious she is pretty.

I know they recommend the ears stayed taped for the first year. McKinley was about 10 months when I finally stopped, and I have to say I worry a bit about that left ear standing up.

I told him just yesterday that I would tape that ear down permanently if he pricked it up!:lol:

She is a pretty girl though.

3. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I would keep going until 1 year. Wonky stuff can still happen. I gave up too early and will always wonder if Bacca's ears would have turned out better had I persisted.

4. Abigail's Mom

May 30, 2010
    Nevada/Oregon
    I told Abby that I would not glue them back down again the last time I unglued them, if she promised not to have them go up.
    I would love her either way, but she does look so cute with them tipped and as long as the vegetable oil works to remove the glue....I will keep trying.
    I hope it is all not in vain...no pun intended.

5. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    She is stunning! I love her coloring. Yes, like everyone already said, glue them until she is a year.

6. Will

Will Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2010
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Glued ears - why?????????????

I know that the standard is for Sheltie ears to be "tipped over", but does that make it right to artificially make it so? Our first Sheltie had one ear "over" and the other straight up. In our opinion it was a unique and endearing quality. Our current Sheltie, Robby, came with what seemed like huge ears, standing straight up, but a year and a half later they are now beginning to flop over, entirely on their own. We are not into show dogs (although we have nothing against that/them). Our Shelties have all been rescues and are family pets. We groom them carefully and naturally to be just exactly what they were meant to be with no interference from us - with the exception of the poop chute. We would no more glue our Shelties ears than we would glue our own. I suppose this may offend some, and that is not our intention. It rather reflects our philosopy of keeping our dogs groomed as "natural" as possible.
    Cheers, Will (and Robby)

7. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

It's a personal choice.

If you are showing, there is no choice, the ears must be properly tipped.

However, if not showing, its really up to the individual as to what to do.

I don't show, but I personally prefer a properly tipped ear. But I won't go over the top to achieve it. Glueing is not big deal for the dog. Bacca never mineded it...he probably balked more when I tried to remove the glue....but our pups generally balk at any kind of forced confinement when we groom them. No different in my book!

8. Abigail's Mom

May 30, 2010
    Nevada/Oregon
    I respect your opinion. I hope, however you are not a Cosmetic Surgeon. :biggrin2:

9. Lovely

Lovely Forums Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2009
    Tampa, Florida
    I love, love, love your little Abigail's freckles. She is sooo cute. Our Abbie is much bigger! Sorry, no advice on ears here, just had to tell you how beautiful your little lady is!

10. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    I tape which is easier than glueing imho, and mine do not mind it for a second...if they did I wouldnt be able to do it by myself.
    However yes if you dont show its a personally preference. I do it even on my pet puppies becuase I think it completes their look and makes their face and expression sweet.

And yes abigails mom I would continue till a year. You've gone this far what another month or 2? :wink2: