Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Hartley had a tough week.

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by dawns2shelties, Mar 10, 2013.

1. dawns2shelties

dawns2shelties Forums Sage

Monday about 2 hours after Hartley had his breakfast it all came up. About 5 hours later I gave him a small amount of Chicken, Rice and Diluted low sodium broth and that came up about 2 hours later too. I was a bit concerned because neither meal seemed to have started breaking down yet and was thinking the worst blockage.

Tuesday morning I called the vet first thing in the morning, I had to drop him off since I was scheduled for an 8:30 sedated back injection. My normal vet there left to open a new practice so I saw another vet there who I had only seen once which made me more nervous. I received a call around 11:00 that Hartely's belly was very tender and they wanted to do Xrays, Bloodwork and Urine tests. He also had discharge from his penis which I also noticed the night before.

His Xrays came back clear which was a real relief, he was dehydrated and was diagnosed with Gastritis cause unknown and an infection in his penis. God knows how he got that! They gave him fluids, a shot for nausea, sent him home with amoxicillin, cerenia, an ointment for his penis and RX Gastro food. I fed him small amounts of food mixed with my own concoction of Rice Chicken and dilluted broth every couple hours and he seemed to hold it down well with the nausea meds.

The next day his gums were looking pale again so off to the vet we went. By the time he saw the vet they had pinked up again. She also said his belly felt much better so home we went to continue our regimen.

Yesterday we went for our follow up she was pleased he had no vomiting since he had not had the nausea meds in 2 days and said his penis seemed to be clearing up as well. We'll continue to take his antibiotics until they are gone, continue the topical cream for his penis the next 2 days and slowly transition him to his regular food.

I had opened a new bag of food prior to this all happening and although the manufacturer said they have had no recipe changes or issues with the food I disposed of that and bought a new bag. All his treats are made here London broil, chicken and sweet potatoes all dehydrated and organic as well.

Unfortunately my little guy is still wearing his cone of shame so he can't lick the meds off his penis. I'm including a pic of him in his new bed made by a friend. Very well made I might ad.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  2. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Poor boy. Hope the gastritis is a one-time thing. Feel better sweet boy.

3. dawns2shelties

dawns2shelties Forums Sage

Thanks Ronna, I hope it is too. I know your Liam has had a tough time. I plan on transitioning him very slowly back to his food although the vet felt it could be done over a couple days.

4. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Bash things with your cone mr Hartley that is what I did

Signed
    Sca

5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    First, I'm sorry that Hartley has had a tummy attack. Ally gets that once in a while. It is worrisome but at least no blockage. Glad he is feeling a little better.

Second, I think your friend has a future in dog beds - that looks so cute and comfortable! Hartley looks quite content on it, even with the cone of shame.

Hope he's back to normal very soon. :hugs

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    sorry to hear that Hartey had some problems -glad to hear that he is on the mend.
    very cute bed:yes:

7. Mitchy

Mitchy Forums Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2012
    Idaho, USA
    what a rough go of the week....so glad he is on the mend.

Such a handsome boy, even in a cone!

8. Meldor

Meldor Forums Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2011
    Ottawa
    Sending good thoughts! I'm glas he seems to be on the mends. :fl

Wow that is quite a lovely bed, Very nice of your friend to have made that for your sweet boy!

9. mellie

mellie Forums Enthusiast

May 18, 2011
    East Coast
    Poor Hartley !! Glad to hear he is feeling better. That is the most content "conehead' i have ever seen. He is very handsome in his nifty bed. So a friend made that ? Very nice.

10. DieDany

DieDany Forums Enthusiast

Apr 4, 2012
    Prague, Czech Rep.
    Glad Hartley feels good again! I had the gastritis myself twice and it was a terrible time :eek: Hartley's new bed is absolutely gorgeous.