Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

chip is sick

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by ferg, Jul 7, 2014.

1. ferg

ferg Premium Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Ohio
    We think he may have ingested some Taxus. Not sure but he is throwing up and won't eat.

2. ellenspn

ellenspn Forums Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2014
    Swamps of NE Illinois
    I hope by the time this is posted that you have gotten a hold of an emergency vet.:hugs

Hang in there!!!

3. Mally's Mom

Mally's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009
    Illinois
    I am so very sorry to hear this.

I will put Chip on my prayer list.

Please update us on how he is doing, when you are able to. Thanks.

4. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Oh no! Praying for your little guy!!!

5. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Oh no. Praying for little Chip!

6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I'm very sorry to hear about Chip, and I hope he's OK by now. Please let us know when you can. We're all sending good thoughts your way!

7. ferg

ferg Premium Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Ohio
    Chip

Vet says he would be dead by now if he had eaten any Taxus. Upon investigation last night I found that he had eaten about 8 or 10 inches of clothesline rope. He passed it.

Vet is going to administer fluids, give shot, and take an xray to determine if there are any remnants of the rope in his intestines.

Left him at Vets so they can observe.

Thanks for your thoughts. We cannot imagine being without this little boy.

8. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Continued prayers for Chip!

9. ute_fan

ute_fan Forums Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2012
    Utah
    Prayers for Chip! We had a problem with Callie eating some scraps of an old towel that we'd used in her crate as padding. She started throwing up one night, with all bits of interesting leaves & stuff in the vomit -- until she finally threw up a bit of the towel.

We took her to the ER vet (by which time she was throwing up just bile), and they gave her a shot to calm her stomach. Their comment was that anything like a towel wouldn't show up on x-rays, and said we'd need to get her to our regular vet in the morning if she was still having problems.

Luckily the shot stopped the vomiting, and she's had no further episodes, but it sure is scary to have them like that.

10. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    So happy to hear that Chip is on the mends. I can't imagine how frightened you must have been.