Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Too soon to socialize?

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by JoonieB, Apr 21, 2014.

1. JoonieB

JoonieB Forums Regular

Feb 10, 2014
    MA
    Hey everyone,
    The time has come and I am picking up my 6 month old Sheltie puppy from his breeder this Friday. He will be my herding, obedience and agility prospect. My current Sheltie also competes in agility, but I acquired her when she was already 5 years old so this will be my first time with a baby. It so happens that I have an agility trial to attend this Saturday. Do you think it would be too soon to take the pup along for the socialization and interaction? Looking for opinions. I want him to get used to working and meeting people out and about ASAP but should I let him stay home and settle for a while first?

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    picked Destin up on a Friday- he was 3 months.
    took him home, then to vet, then to friend's house where we stayed for the weekend while 4 yr old Dixie competed at an agility trial. Destin got to go to the trial too for socialization while the other two boys stayed behind at the friend's place.

3. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    It's never too early to socialize as long as shots are current. Take him to Lowes, Petsmart, obedience matches, etc.!

4. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    6 months old is plenty old enough to socialize, especially if they're current on vaccinations. Just make sure he is enjoying himself and not too overwhelmed. Make sure you have a crate so he can have a place to escape. I've never been to an agility trial, but if it's anything like a flyball tournament.. having crate to relax in is key.

5. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I'm with the others--I think it's fine. Just make sure as the others have said that he's able to get some alone time if he wants it. I also would make sure to take the time with just him--not just your pup who is competing. Take the new one outside alone, walks, etc.

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    nowhere near as crazy or loud as flyball.....................:winkgrin:

7. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    An agility trial makes a morgue seem perky if you are comparing with a flyball tournament :lol: Very quiet with a lone barking sheltie on course at times. Though I seem to recall some orgs have a no puppy rule but I cannot recall which ones.

Oh and Spitfire who reacts to everything went to flyball at 6 months old and just power slept in his kennel.

8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I think only AKC has rules about puppies on site- used to be 6 months old but since they started 4-6 month puppy class in conformation, it's 4 months now......

9. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    We picked Shelby up at 13 weeks of age, and 2 weeks later we took her camping with us for a week. I don't think it is too soon. The sooner the better.