Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Bit disheartened today (pity party)

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Mom2Melli, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Shay & Mel went to the vet for snakebite #2 shot. It just did not go well.

First, they were doing a euthanasia and it backed everyone up so the waiting room was real full. I put Shay in a corner but he kept barking at big dogs (fear aggressive getting worse as he ages). Mel was fine.

Then they get us in their smallest room. They take Mel to do her nails. She has strange nails. The quicks are REAL long and the tips REAL short. She really fights because I assume she has been butchered. It's almost traumatizing for us to do it at home but we DO have a system. Anyway, they hit the quick (oh bleep).

The vet comes in (female). Then the tech. Then a new tech observing who looks 12. I explain Shay is fear aggressive which is why he is harnessed with a grab handle. Mel is dominant and a diva but OK. On cue, Shay airsnaps the vet. She explains nothing personal and she is glad a family can manage a dog that many wouldn't. I grab handle, shot done, dog climbs under my skirt. Mel I hand off and it is shot done.

I tell the vet I will be in the rest of the summer with a pup. "How exciting" etc. She askes the $50K question . . . "And how are these two going to like THAT?" I said Shay will be delighted. He always is whenever a guest dog comes or we add a dog (contradicts the FA -- but it is HIS house and he is comfortble here). And then she said "And this one, won't be thrilled, right?" Oh, Melli. She was happy to hear it is a boy which still allows Melli to be her diva princess self. She said as long as Melli is allowed to put the pup in his place from time to tme it might not be so bad. (Oh bleep).

It was just a crummy visit. The quick, Shay being snappy, handling them both myself alone, the vet saying Melli probably is not going to be thrilled. This little dude better be peacemaker of the century and have the personality to charm man and beast alike!

Then we went to Grandma's house for a visit and pizza. That was a fun thing for us all because we ALL love my mom.

Thanks for listening to my pity party.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  2. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Grandma and pizza sound like a good cure for a rotten vet visit. Hope the rest of your day goes much better!!

Trini

3. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    We also had a vet visit today, but not even close to your sad experience. I was only upset because my checkbook was so much lighter...

Hope you enjoy the rest of your day. Maybe you'll get some new puppy pics?

4. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Thanks.

On an amusing note, ast night while fishing the husband impaled his finger (more ran through his finger) with this giant needle you use to inject nightcrawlers with air and tuna blood mix . . . after he had used it on some worms for air and blood mix. Just sent him down to the Urgent Care for tetanus & antibiotics. Go figure. He took the needle to show everyone there (like the ones used for injecting meat with juices). Father-in-law coming today anyway for BBQ tonight and grand father's day breakfast tomorrw. Tomorrow . . . also llama catching and shearing.

All I can say is :gaah

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. I am just starting to laugh about the whole thing. The pup will be fine I am sure and we will come to a dyanmic that will work.

5. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Husband came home -- left the prescriptions at the store (an hour away). It just keeps getting better. :rolleyes2:

6. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    your day seems like a sit-com that I really would sit down to watch...waiting to see what happens next! :pop

7. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Father in law invited self up for father's day because his girlfriend is busy. Literally, he just told my husband, "I will see you Saturday and stay until Sunday evening. What are we having for dinner? We ARE having a great Father's Day breakfast, aren't we?" You guessed it, the week I intend to skip grocery shopping to eat things up and use the money for the vet visit for the snakebite. Only the father-in-law is mad at me because a month ago when we had a big open house he tracked huge black shoe prints 3 hours before the event across the beige carpet and I sort of lost it to my husband who told him politely to remove shoes (while I steamcleaned). So he is not saying anything to me. :uhoh:

Melli is barking at him because he always calls her Melo-DEE. She is Melli or Mel. He bends over and stares at her and calls her Melo-DEE. She stopped barking after my husband told him to call her Melli.

Then, I showed him the pic of Cubby. I said his name is Cubby. I said his name is Little Red Caboose. He said I could call him Cobby. No Cubby. Huh? Cobby? No Cubby. Like bear cub. Oh Cubby. Walks away without saying anything else. :no:

All I need is a rattlesnake today! I do, though, have a Sheriff's helicopter circling my house.

8. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    You poor thing. I suggest a glass of wine, a good book and bed! Or a nice, quiet closet where you can hide! Tomorrow may not be better (yes I am a glass-half-empty person) but at least today will be over! :uhoh: And FIL will go home.... :yes:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  9. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    Hey Mom2Meli, that might be a great time to run away from home and don't tell anyone your name! :hide I sympathize with all your woes and sure wish you a better tomorrow. :fl

10. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I ended up toddling across the street to visit the neighbors. They are taking raw property and going through the whole improvement to build process. Great folks, doomsday preppers, conspiracy theorists, good conversations about how "they" are trying to "get" us all with everything from diet to medicines to chem trails to planted diseases to governement spying AND "they" are trying to get our little dogs too with tainted Chinese products!

Hey, just because I'm not paranoid doesn't mean "they" still aren't trying to "get" me!