Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Service Dog Daisy!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by LadyMcBeth, Apr 16, 2012.

1. LadyMcBeth

LadyMcBeth Forums Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2010
    San Marcos TX
    Daisy received her service dog pack today. Here she is, sporting her new vest!

Daisy is considered a "psychiatric service dog" who reminds me to take my medications. I often forget to take my evening pills.

I am so proud of my lovely girl....the vest didn't phase her at all! I am looking forward to what new adventures we will have, now that she has all the proper gear and ID....

Attached Files:

2. rose

rose Forums Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2011
    washington
    way to go daisy,
    be prepared for ''ohh look, little lassie'' i get that alot with my service dog suzi.
    nice looking vest.

Attached Files:

3. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    How wonderful she has got everything now she needs to help you. Did you have to do any special training/certification with her?

4. Mally's Mom

Mally's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009
    Illinois
    Congratulations going out to Daisy. Way to go, Daisy.

Daisy looks, happy, confident and very pretty, too!

5. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Congratulations, Daisy!

I am so glad that you and Daisy are in each others' lives; you are obviously very good for each other. Happy adventuring!

6. LadyMcBeth

Oct 30, 2010
    San Marcos TX
    There are certain qualifications a dog must have, according to the American Disabilities Act. I must have a qualifying disability, and she must be trained to assist me in something concerning that disability. My need is for a dog to remind me to take my medications on a regular schedule. I have trained her so far, and then two doctors (my psychologist and general psysician) verifed in writing as to her qualifications.

I am still training her. Now that we have the vest and ID card, I will be taking her to shopping malls, restaurants, and such, so she can learn to behave properly. She should have no problems, she is calm, friendly, non-aggressive and house-broken. We have a whole new world of adventures ahead of us... I am so excited!

7. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    That's terrific that she is able to do all that. I think it is a wonderful way also to spread the news about the special personality a Sheltie has.

8. LaddieKatieMom

LaddieKatieMom Forums Enthusiast

Apr 14, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Laddie thinks she looks extremely attractive in her pretty vest and sends big licks!
    How wonderful for both of you...there is no limit to the blessings a dog (especially a Sheltie) brings!!

Rob
    Katie: 15 y/o Tri Diva
    Laddie: 6 y/o One-Eyed Cookie Thief (and Casanova Sheltie Man)

9. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
  10. LadyMcBeth

Oct 30, 2010
    San Marcos TX
    Daisy flashes her eyelashes at Laddie!:wink2:

I agree with you about the blessings....and Daisy has traveled down a long road to recovery...Her previous owner had her at 64 lbs. and wanted her euhanized only 2 1/2 years ago. The vet refused, and surrendered her to Austin Sheltie Rescue. She had heartworm and could hardly walk.

She also is a qualified companion animal and therapy dog for me. Now she lives a productive and full life....and I don't know what I would do without her.