Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

What's a good vacuum for cleaning up after dogs?

Discussion in 'Other Equipment' started by JReger, Mar 11, 2013.

1. JReger

JReger Forums Novice

Mar 11, 2013
    Utah
    Hello good world of Sheltie Nation, and all who inhabit it! I am realizing as my sheltie pup grows up that I will need a good vacuum to take care of messes and shedding. What should I buy?

Basically I just want something really inexpensive that will still work with dog hair. I've never bought a vacuum before, as I used to live in an apartment that had one already. So I'm a bit lost.

I did read through this little guide that lists some of the best inexpensive vacuum cleaners. What do you think?

What vacuum do you use? Specifically for your dog? What do you like or dislike about it? How much did it cost.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    I use a cheapo ($100) bissell vacuum. I wouldn't really recommend it, but it does get the job done other than we have to clean the filter and empty it lots because of my hair and dog's hair. It does however pick up everything. I really really like the dyson pet one. My mother owns this one and it does an amazing job with Sheltie hair, but it is not cheap.

3. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Most cheap ones will die a quicker death but work in the interim. If you can afford it get a Dyson in the long run it will work well much longer and be cheaper in the long run.

4. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    Dyson is the way to go, even for hardwood. I finally killed off my Dyson after 6 years, and it's replacement is horrible. I'll be buying another Dyson when I can afford it.

5. Trip

Trip Forums Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2012
    Chattanooga
    Occassionally Woot has refurbished animal dysons for a good deal off. They had a regular DC41 yesterday.

6. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    I've had an Oreck for over 10 years now and it still works wonderfully. (We bought it before Dyson's were on the market.)

We invested in the Oreck after getting tired of replacing cheap $100-$150 vacuums almost annually after they'd clog with dog hair and completely loose suction. It's been a fantastic investment!

If I had to replace it today, I'd have to compare the current Oreck models with a Dyson to see what would be the best value. I definitely would not go with an inexpensive vacuum.

7. Mitchy

Mitchy Forums Enthusiast

Oct 22, 2012
    Idaho, USA
    I have a iRobot Roomba pet series......but keep in mind I have no carpet in my home, only hardwood floors and tile. It is wonderful. They are pricey to start with though. I run it daily and house floors just sparkle even with 6 dogs and 2 cats and a cockatoo!

8. mcemily

mcemily Forums Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I agree with the others... a more expensive vacuum is one of those investments that really pays off. You'll spend a lot more replacing cheaper vacuums every couple of years. Besides that, whether it's a Dyson, or Oreck, or Kirby, the higher-end vacuums all come with really outstanding repair/replacement programs, which can make quite a difference. If something breaks on a cheap vacuum, it can be difficult to get replacement parts or have it repaired, and I know in our case, it would have cost more to repair the vacuum than to buy a brand new one of the same make/model!

When we moved out of the apartment into a house, we got a refurbished Dyson a few years ago (we got it from Overstock.com)... it works great, and was about half the price of a new one.

9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Choice (Australian Consumer Affairs) did a test of vacuums just this year and the Dyson Animal came out as the top vacuum or pet hair so we ended up getting one for the dog club, I also have a compact Dyson at home. I must say my previous cleaners used an industrial vacuum on my carpet and I still had to go over it again with the Dyson. Even though the Dyson has a hose that is vulnerable to Sheltie teeth I've decided to stick with the brand.

10. mcemily

mcemily Forums Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That made me chuckle. Lerwick goes nuts when I vacuum, so I either crate him or close him in another room while I vacuum... or have my hubby take him for a walk. :gaah