Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

A friend for Honey (temp)

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by JacqueZ, Mar 23, 2014.

1. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    So my moms going away for a week and I'll be taking her 3 year old Bichon during the time. Hopefully this will be a good test to see how Honey (and us) would deal with a second dog.

I've gone back and forth on the issue a lot. I'd love her to have company, but I'm not sure I want the attention that another dog would demand taken away from her. She's pretty possessive when it comes to other animals snuggling me.
    She chases away the cats half the time, and she tends to get worried when another animal tries to lie on her favorite spots.

Plus there's the concern about not being able to take two dogs with me everywhere as easily as I can take Honey. I've run across a few rescues who the description says are home dogs (I'm mainly looking at Border Collies) and don't like traveling new places, and that seems like a neat solution to that problem, gives both dogs a chance to have some alone time too.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this week, Bailey is an adorable puppy, and Honey and her just go wild when they're together, huge grins everywhere tons of play! And I'll get a chance to work on training when there are distractions. My goal is to send Bailey home with at least one new trick.

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    It sounds fun. You can do it! If the dogs already know and like each other they have already started on a social structure. That helps.

3. JacqueZ

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    We had a rough start to this adventure!!

We dropped Honey off at my mom's so we could run and get some gardening supplies before bringing them both to our house. When we got back we found out my brother had let them outside and the side gate got unlocked. They ran around before being spotted by a neighbor, who tried to get them to come to her. Honey of course bolted at that, Bailey ran home and my brother didn't notice that Honey never came in.

Took about thirty to forty minutes of calling and walking before she ran to me. She was three streets over, and by that point my calls were closer to sobs. I was so releaved to see her!!!! I never want to let her out of my sight again. She was going crazy at finally finding me! Oh god, it was terrifying!

So soso happy to have her safe and home.

4. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Oh, thankful she is safe! I had my beloved first Aussie bolt out of collar when we were almost hit by an R/C plane and I had that exact feeling. By the time we tracked him and got to him I tackled him and spent the rest of the weekend pulling off foxtails and sobbing. So hard when the baby is missing. So thankful she is OK and back safe.

5. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    Oh JacqueZ, I am so glad you found your Honey. I know the devastation it plays on your mind. I reminded my lawn maintenance crew every time they worked at the house to BE SURE to close the gate, as they went in and out a dozen times a day, it was inevitable it would be left open, standing at the kitchen sink, looked up and my precious little Bambi was prancing up the street. My heart just about stopped and I went tearing out the door. I'm wanting to scream my head off at her to come back, all the while knowing we can't holler that way to these soft baby's. Lucky for me, she did total recall and came running to me with the first call. So I know how lucky you feel and how so very glad you are to have your baby home, safe. :fl :hugs

6. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    So glad you found her safe and sound. Hard to breathe when your heart is in your throat.

7. JacqueZ

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    I don't think I've had a dog run away, where I didn't see them bolt and know where to follow since I was five. I admit it started feeling hopeless as I turned onto that third street! All I could picture is walking in the woods with her, and how she trots up to me everytime I whistle. I don't think I've ever shouted so loud in my life.

(I admit I was shocked by how few people even looked at me, if I heard that I would be exiting my house getting all the information I could so that I could keep an eye out)

Thank goodness for the one neighbor who did see her and could give me a general direction to concentrate on. My husband and my brother were driving around, but given how skittish Shelties are, I did not expect them to have much luck spotting her.

And she was so quiet! Anytime she's outside she's barking at other dogs, squirrels, cats, I kept passing houses with these things and hearing nothing! It had me panicking. With how reactive Honey is to cars, my heart clenched every time I looked towards the main street. I was so worried she got on it, panicked and something horrible had happened!

I had to spend all night forcing myself not to over cuddle her! She likes being by us, but usually not touching. She did take me over to the park on our walk when we got home though, and sat on my lap for about fifteen minutes while we gently swung on the swings.

By the time half the night was past, she was passed out in her box, so exhausted from her adventures.

8. JacqueZ

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    I started thinking about it this morning, and I want to try to find someplace that prints on fabric, so I can get her name and my phone number printed up a bunch of times and cut them into bandanna's. Honey won't let anyone close and at least this way people have half a chance of seeing the number or her name and being able to get in touch with me.

She's microchipped and she has a dog tag on her collar, but neither of those do any good if you can't catch the dog!

9. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Just remember, she has already forgotten about the whole incident. Try to not dwell on it. I am speaking from experience because the time my boy bolted changed EVERYTHING for me FOREVER. I only walk on a harness (except in school or other secure locations), I never after that left the dogs in the yard when I was gone except on super rare occasions, I am always over-protective of my dogs as I think that was the defining moment where they went from "eh, dogs" to "loves of my life." Having nearly lost, I realized just how much he meant. This has been since 2002 and I have never truly let it go.

Hugs to you. It's a scary scary thing but breathe. I promise you are both OK. I am so glad you found her and she responded.

10. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Holy cow, this is every dog lovers nightmare, but particularly those of us with our shy, reticent Shelties. I don't think ANY of my girls would go up to a stranger. Well, maybe if they were made out of steak, LOL. So many, many stories of our breed being lost like this.

So glad Honey is safe and sound and believe me, I understand. Our angel Skye once took off after a cat right as we were getting out of the car, she disappeared so fast. We were searching, calling and panicking until finally trotted her little butt back home. :rolleyes2:

Hope the rest of this visit is uneventful!!!