Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Training recommendations?

Discussion in 'Agility' started by eneda, Apr 2, 2012.

1. eneda

eneda Forums Regular

May 27, 2010
    evanston, IL
    Im starting Pebbles on agility and I was wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for trainers near Evanston, IL or Chicago. She is 3 and 1/2, not hyper at all, but loves training (she knows the cutest little tricks). I dont care much about competing, just as a fun activity to do together. Also any book recommendations to start reading?

Thank you!!!

2. Sharon

Sharon Forums Sage

Feb 27, 2008
    Southeastern Ct
    Training

I recomend going to Clean Run website and looking their for a place to train.

3. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Hey Sharon! Where do you find agility trainers on their website. I played around for a little bit, but I couldn't figure out how to locate that part of the website.

Thanks!

4. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=clubs.search

Hope that helps!

(To get it from cleanrun.com, you have to click on the events box at the bottom, then clubs and training links)

5. Sharon

Sharon Forums Sage

Feb 27, 2008
    Southeastern Ct
    Training

Thanks Ashley for posting that!!:smile2:

6. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    Eneda, I will be happy to answer any of your questions as we have been doing agility for a bit around here. Clean run list is a bit outdated but as you figured it out there is no real close place that works well. It also depends how much $$ you are planning to spend, going rate is $25 per class. Stacey Hawk is great for beginners, she is in Chicago. Barker behavior offers some locations in agility, I believe Diana from this forum has high opinion about Brandi Barker, but I know agility trainer from that group, she is very nice.
    For least expensive option/ $75 for 8 weeks/ you can sign for waiting list with Windy City Agility at Melrose park, takes me 35 minutes on good day, an hour on bad day to drive. Nice place and great people.
    There is one great guy near you but he only teaches on Sat mornings at his backyard. If it works for you I can give you his info.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  7. eneda

eneda Forums Regular

May 27, 2010
    evanston, IL
    Thank you for all this info. I live very close to the lake and Melrose park is too far, considering my car is not the most reliable. But, it depends, how much do you like them? I would like the info of the person that teaches saturday morning, saturdays would work best for me!

8. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    Windy City is great place for sure. Training facility calls ForyourK9 and there are few people teaching there, including Dana Pike, agilitynerd Steve Scwartz http://agilitynerd.com/blog/agility/courses/steve/BackSideOneJumpHandling.html
    The owner of facility is Nancy Reyes who is excellent behaviorist. You can google them. Windy city trains there on Thur evenings and I would suggest you come and see for yourself, it is usually good way to test what you will like or not.
    Stacey is teaching at BestFriends doggie daycare place on North ave. She is amazing, very positive, great encouraging teacher.
    I will PM you info about local place on Sat.

9. Diana

Diana Forums Enthusiast

Sep 28, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Hey, we should get together with all the Evanston/Skokie shelties!

I took a class at this place http://chicagoagility.com/ and didn't love it. I felt like it was more for hardcore people than me, and especially at the end I had three people yelling at me about what to do in a beginning class. I was frustrated because of course I don't really know what I'm doing, but hey, I'm doing this for fun and to learn, not to be yelled at.

I am thinking of doing a class at this place http://www.callofthewildschool.com/. I think they also have Stacey teaching there and they are closer than Melrose Park. (I also think Melrose Park is too far to drive on a weeknight, although that place sounds great!) Good to know she comes highly recommended.

SheltieChe, if you could also PM me the info for the Saturday morning guy, that would be super! I would like to get Buffy back into agility. I'm not looking to do it hardcore but I think she's good at it. Maybe he can do a sheltie class :razz:

For Barker Behavior: I've taken several obedience classes there and I think Brandi is wonderful. The agility teacher is a different person, though, so I'm not sure if I want to do it. Don't know as much about their agility classes. I get the sense that it's more for non-serious agility people. (Which might be a decent match for us. :wink2:)

10. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    Yes, Stacey teaches at Call of the Wild although only beginners as their facility does not have much of the good flooring. Jennifer, owner of Call of the Wild is great, excellent behaviorist, she teaches regular classes.
    ForyourK9 is really largest and biggest training facility around here and drive not so bad, realistically it takes me same amount of time to get into Chicago as to Melrose Park. It also has daycare, lots of other classes and stuff and hosts tons of trials
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI3ANnOXJiU&feature=player_embedded