Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Toby's day...

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Megansmom, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Megansmom

Megansmom Forums Sage

Dec 4, 2009
    Texas
    Puppy Toby is having his "fixing" today :(. He was a brave boy when I dropped him off!

Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers for an uneventful procedure and quick recovery :fl

P.s. Altering a pet sure is expensive, WOW :ick

2. marymrumfelt

marymrumfelt Forums Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    Aww I'm sure he'll be fine :)

I had such a good vet in Austin, blood work and all was only $120 for Lily. My other two went to the low-cost clinic and their blood work and fixings were $20 a piece or something... I got the altering for free, just had to pay for blood work and pain medicine. I miss living in a pet-friendly city!

Let us know how he is :)

3. PreciousSheltie

PreciousSheltie Forums Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2011
    Good luck Toby :D Sending our best thoughts to him!

4. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    I will be thinking about you, your family, and Toby today. I hope that all goes well. Please post an update!!!!

5. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Good luck Toby! Hoping for an uneventful neuter and easy recovery.

6. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Will keep him in my thoughts and prayers. It is expensive to have them fixed at a regular vet. My vet and I talked about that yesterday. Going to a low-cost spay/neuter clinic can end up costing more in the long run if there are complications.

He will be fine. It will be a challenge to keep him quiet. You cannot keep a good Sheltie down.

7. pixgal

pixgal Forums Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2012
    Beaverton Or.
    Poor baby Toby. :ick
    Miss Sadie gets her's done at the end of the month. So sorry they have to go through it but it is necessary.

8. Megansmom

Megansmom Forums Sage

Dec 4, 2009
    Texas

This is EXACTLY why I have it done at our Vet hospital. Thank you for the encouraging words!

9. marymrumfelt

marymrumfelt Forums Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    I know several people who used this low-cost clinic and have never had an issue. Hell, hundreds of people as the rescues all use it. Hadley did get incontinence after being spayed, but I've seen people on here whose dog have it and they didn't mention it being a low-cost clinic so I doubt that's related. The low-cost clinics are just nonprofits that function on donations and aren't out to make a profit and usually only do specific things. That's the main difference. They offer blood work and have resuscitation material should something go wrong, but yes, if something happened, you'd have to go to a vet that clinic that has more resources. Again, though, I worked with the animal shelter and several fosters there and never heard one thing go wrong. I think they get a bad wrap because people like feel like if they're spending more money, they're getting better services, but it's not true at all. These vets that DONATE their time, work or have worked at vets, so it could very well be the same vet you see on a regular basis, he's just doing volunteer work on that day. :)

It reminds me of the Indian Hospitals in Oklahoma. Native Americans receive free health care in Oklahoma, have state of the art hospitals, nicer than regular hospitals, but some snobby Native Americans think it's substandard and refuse to go...Their loss! Wish I qualified. ;)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  10. Megansmom

Megansmom Forums Sage

Dec 4, 2009
    Texas

It just depends on the clinic you go to! My daughter used to be a Vet Tech at our hospital and heard some awful horror stories of how some low cost clinics perform.

That being said, yes, there are some perfectly wonderful low cost clinics and without them, the euthanasia rate would be more catastrophic then it already is.