Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Cool Running Canines 2013

Discussion in 'Flyball' started by Jess041, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Well this weekend we traveled to Temple, Texas for a tournament. It was our first over-night tournament and we stayed in a motel for 2 nights. Missy did pretty good in the motel. I did end up getting her a soft-sided crate for the motel room, which turned out being a great idea (thanks Take4Roll!). Even though she was never left in the room by herself, she used the crate as a safe place and slept there most the night. The first night she was a little concerned about all the noises, and I don't think she slept very much. Luckily she was able to sleep in her crate at the tournament most of the day when we weren't racing. The second night I was smart and got her a bully stick from one of the vendors so she laid down and chewed on that and eventually fell asleep, plus she was very tired from racing!

As far as the racing goes.. she did surprisingly well considering how bad our practices have been recently. The first couple races we had her in the 4th position, but the dog who usually runs last kept dropping balls (not used to passing a dog on the way back). So I think in the third race we changed our line-up pretty drastically. It was originally Fiona, Shorty, Tang, Missy, but we changed it to Missy, Tang, Fiona, Shorty. Shorty needed to go last. So starting ended up being better for Missy, but then there was the challenge for me to release her at the right time. I got it figured out on Sunday and ended up getting a .003 start and a .001. Then I pushed it and went early.. ooops. Missy also had some great times! As the start dog, her line-to-line times were in the 4.6's. She sped up throughout the tournament and in the very last race ran 4.4's and her personal best was 4.417! When she's not start dog, she runs in the 5-5.2 range depending on how wide the pass is.

We did have some chasing issues. In the last race of the day on Saturday, very first heat, she decided to chase, so we pulled her immediately. She got to run again on Sunday until the very last race again... she chased in the 3rd heat after that great time! I think she knew she ran super fast and wanted to go again.. but we had to pull her. We're getting there! She just gets a little too rev'd up, so we're going to have to work on controlling our excitement.

She did get her FDCh, and is less than 100 points away from her FDCh-S, and then after that it's going to be a few tournaments until the next title. Then they're really going to slow down! But I'm proud of her. She did great, and really enjoyed herself.

2. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Sounds like a great weekend! I'm glad the crate worked out and she didn't chase as much as you expected her to. Congrats on the title!

3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    That's awesome! Way to go!

So, are you planning to travel again? :)

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Congrats- sounds like a great weekend:yes:

5. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    We won't have another tournament that requires an overnight stay until June, and it will be in Temple again. Then again in August. Then in October I'm hoping (fingers crossed, money saved) we'll go to CanAm in Indianapolis. The rest of the tournaments on the schedule are about a 40 minute drive for me.

6. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Great job Missy and some sweet times! Sca can get into the high fours but usually runs similar to Missy. We almost never start but he did get to a 4.7 which is not that great considering he has done a 4.8 as a 2nd dog. I think Sca needs another dog to rev him up unlike some.

Of course Spitfire is claiming he will do a 3.6 but then you cannot trust him :rolleyes2: