Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Hello Everyone!

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by cherry81, Aug 25, 2014.

1. cherry81

cherry81 Forums Novice

Aug 25, 2014
    WI
    Hey everyone! It is great to be here and I hope to enjoy my stay =)

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    welcome:smile2:
    we love pix:yes:

3. Lanie

Lanie Forums Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2013
    California
    Welcome :smile2:

We all love, love, love pictures :smile2:

4. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to SN!

5. Jeff

Jeff Forums Regular

Aug 13, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Welcome! Any pics of your dog or dogs?

6. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    Welcome. Tell us about yourself and your sheltie. We love pictures!

7. cherry81

cherry81 Forums Novice

Aug 25, 2014
    WI
    I am just now figuring out this forum so sorry for taking so long to get back to you all. Thank you for the warm welcome!

My husband and I have recently decided that we want to get a Sheltie so I do not have one... Yet!

I have been looking around for a breeder and was wondering what types of things I should be looking for? This will be the first dog we will own and I am at a loss of what exactly I should be checking. Thanks!

8. alonsoe

alonsoe Forums Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2014
    Spain
    Welcome!

Hello Cherry, the first thing is find a good breeder who will give you guarantee of genetical health. And of course, think if a sheltie suits you in your kind of live. They are adorable, whith a lot of personality. I have had other dogs before I had my shelties, and I personaly think its a breed for expertised people. But in any case, they are the best dogs in the world! So I recomend to have one but alfer having more information about this breed.

I love my shelties!:hugs

9. cherry81

cherry81 Forums Novice

Aug 25, 2014
    WI
    When you say general health, how would that work? If anything was not healthy with them, then what happens?

10. alonsoe

alonsoe Forums Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2014
    Spain
    I mean that shelties sometimes will have health problems that come from the parents, if they have health problems that will be transfered by the genetical way. For example there can be or have a mutation in the gen MDR1 and in that case some medicines will have bad consequences with tem, even the death....other problems are in their eyes.....and all of them come from the parents, so the breeders may garantee that the puppies are free of genetical health problems. My breeder gives the puppies totally free of that kind of heath problems.

So you should better have information about this before you buy a puppy and choose a good experienced and serius breeder.