Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Healthy Snacks for Everyone

Discussion in 'Treats & Supplements' started by JacqueZ, Aug 27, 2014.

1. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    So I have a confession...I love to share my food with Honey. Which means I'm always searching for meals and snacks that can safely be eaten by both of us. I thought it'd be fun to grab any ideas you guys have.

Recently I bought a bunch of bananas, cut them up and threw them into the freezer. Honey and I are loving them! I'm not usually big on frozen fruit, but when we get back from a walk and are hot, plopping down on the couch and eating a few are great for cooling off.

We also are big on mixing some honey into yogurt and freezing that in ice cube trays.

Honey likes having smoothies with me...and honey gets raw carrots while I make mine up into a celery and carrot slaw.

In the spirit of, "If I ate the way I make my dog eat, I'd be twice as healthy", I've even tried sharing her frozen green beans and peas...but I can't say I'm a huge fan.

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Shay and I share ice cream (shame on me). Cubby has yet to eat any human food (yay for me!). Melli will kill me for any and all human food if given a chance (you go girl!).

3. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    Watson and I love to chill out and snack on fresh green beans or berries together. He also gets a share of the veggies when I have salad... no dressing for him though! We have wild raspberry plants by our house. We like to forage for those when we go out to potty.

4. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Oh, we just have blueberry plants that are finally producing and blackberries! I wonder if Honey will like those? Now to debate if I want her to realize that we're growing things that can be eaten? My parents dogs used to always fetch those fun green tennis balls that grew during the summer.

Honey gets a few bites of ice cream whenever I have some too. So long as it's vanilla based.

5. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I'm not a big vegetable person. Apparently this has also rubbed off on Missy because when I tried to give her some baby carrots, she promptly spit them out. When I'm trying to eat low-carb, I always have a lot of cheese sticks on hand, which I will share with her. She goes nuts over cheese sticks so I'm pretty sure if I don't share, she'll murder me in my sleep..

6. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012

You could always pick and freeze the blueberries... then she gets to have some but won't equate plucking them from the bush to a tasty snack.

7. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    Lacey is currently enjoying her first bully stick! She has not had any human food other than cottage cheese so far, but then she is only 10 weeks old

8. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Don't let her eat too much of it.. they can be kinda greasy. With those little puppy teeth she might not get very far, but I wouldn't let her eat the whole thing.

9. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    She is not super interested in it and is napping right now after she pushed it out of her pen. Thanks for the warning.

10. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    I'm not big on vegetables either, for humans or for dogs. Dickens gets Sheltie Jerky, which is a special beef jerky that I make for him out of plain strips of thin-sliced round steak (no other ingredients) dried in a food dehydrator until they have the consistency of leather. I also give him pork rinds, which are all protein and fat, and have virtually zero substance, but since he has to chew them he thinks he's getting something big. He topped at 43 pounds at 11 months, and hasn't gained any weight since (he'll be two next month).

I certainly wouldn't give him fruits.