Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Birch agility practice 6/24

Discussion in 'Agility' started by Justicemom, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Small video of Birch at agility practice tonight. This is the second time he ran the course. The first time, he was perfect up to the last jump of the serp. I flipped him to the dog walk out of the weaves, So pretty.

The second time we were working on crossing behind them as they entered the weaves. It was the first time I ever try to do this with Birch. I think it went well once he understood what I was trying to do. We have not done many serpentines before either so I was happy with his effort.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=486305691445366&l=5668195352789312608

2. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    I couldn't watch the video:(. Do you have a YouTube link to it?

3. Justicemom

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Weird it is set to public.

I will upload it and post the link.

4. Tabitha

Tabitha Forums Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    Oh now I see! It's requiring that I upgrade my flash player. Didn't even know I had one!:confused2:

5. Justicemom

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Haha the old flash player thing. Youtube is being incredibly slow uploading. I will get the you tube link tomorrow.

6. Hurtseverywhere

Hurtseverywhere Forums Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2010
    London Ont
    Very Nice, Stormy and I were having Mucho trouble with serps last night too, I have been teaching her to Push the middle serp jump quite a bit the last month or so and when we had to do them the normal way at practice last night, she kept wanting to push the middle Jump even though I wasn't telling her too or even giving her direction too, took a few tries , and lots of complaining from the princess to get that sorted out LOL, Sometimes its 2 steps forward one step back. For his first rear cross after weave entry he picked it up well a few more run thru's and he won't even think about it anymore.

7. Justicemom

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Yes I was really happy with him. He is such a good boy, never complains about my bad handling always just "I am trying to figure out what you want here" I saw a few places I could speed myself up and give him quicker cues always a work in progress I am. :smile2:

Here is the youtube link for those facebook opposed. :smile2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuMNV6zAmXI

8. labgirl

labgirl Forums Sage

Feb 22, 2009
    Suffolk, UK
    That was brill! I love the serpentines, even though they are bloomin' hard! Birch is such a focused little dog, and I think your handling is really good and controlled - not like my frantic shouting!:wink2:

9. JLSOhio51

JLSOhio51 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    I have a couple of questions (I know, here I am with more inane questions) :smile2::

(1) When you train in tighter spaces like the indoor space in the video, are there usually issues transitioning to more spread out layouts at an actual trial, or do the dogs generally adjust without specific training interventions?

(2) When judges set up trial layouts, are the distances between each obstacle somewhat standard or is that an element left to the judges discretion along with which specific obstacles are used?

10. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Looking good. I also liked the way you handled the end of the serpentine. I agree with Labgirl, your handling is very calm and controlled.