Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Registered name question

Discussion in 'Pedigrees' started by Mom2Melli, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Why is there no real system for naming? I am really surprised and confused.

Cats were SO regimented and you almost had no choice.

Birth cattery -- given name -- of -- cattery where living

Marhei -- Black Gold -- of 24-Kt Kats (his co-owner's cattery)
    Prancenpaws -- Simply Ostentatious -- of Catsastar (that is ME)
    Prancenpaws Nutmeg (we co-owned her -- no OF means she belonged under the breeder name until 100% transfer).

Made pedigree tracking easy peasy. Is there any kind of system in the dog world? Looking at Cubby's pedigree I still have a very limited idea of who is who by the names. I can track his mom through a line that switched names a few years ago but I lose the trail as nothing is online.

2. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I know his Dad's line because I was told the kennel name and looked it up online. Even there, the dogs don't actually have the kennel name in their names and I only knew because they told me.

The mom's side is pretty random and then you pick up a kennel name going way back but it is defunct so I can't get any data there. I don't think his mom has quite the pedigree strength as the dad (which is kind of typical).

I just thought dogs had a system like Kennel name -- dog -- at kennel name. Really surprised.

3. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Nope. Some breeders will require it, but not all. My breeder didn't say I had to, so I didn't use the kennel name.

The name is not permanent. You can change it. When I decided to compete in rally, I changed my dog's AKC name.

4. ellenspn

ellenspn Forums Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2014
    Swamps of NE Illinois
    I only have used my "kennel name" Emsket for my rescue dogs. If I were to become for interested in conformation I might use it at the end. But the breeder my current 3 are from requires you use her kennel name when you register them.

5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I must admit I find the naming over there very confusing too. Here it's the breeder that registers and names the dogs. Names are always Dam's Kennel name first, then the pups in the litter usually have a common theme in their names. So Tully's name is Tooneybank Small Talk, Tooneybank being Kennel and then all the pups had 'talking' kind of names as that fit with the sire's name. To me it's much easier because I can always identify where a dog came from by it's name.

6. Sumac3890

Sumac3890 Forums Sage

Sep 12, 2008
    Fort Myers, Fl
    I have always thought that you got with the breedes kennel name. In my case it is Trilliant.

Zak 's is Rosmoor Protocol, mom was not a show dog and is under the Trilliant name although she was from Cameo, her sire was Macdega Notorious

Zoey's dad is Blue Heavens Lethal Wepon and her mom is Cameo Wildest Dreams

all of her show dogs now are under Trilliant.

7. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    *shrug* I don't find it that confusing, but I see how you could since you are used to cats. Depending on the breeder, they will make you use their kennel names. My parents' kennel name was/is Fosterhill so all our dogs have that at the front. My Ruu's kennel name from his breeder is damels and she requests in contract that that be used. That being said, we've bought dogs where the breeder doesn't care and my parents just use their kennel name then. We always try to tie our kennel name in it somehow though. Like Ruutu's is damels tri me at fosterhill where Honey's breeders didn't specify she's fosterhill's Bit O Honey

There's no way to truly track dogs though especially because people can easily pay and change their registered names. But breeders can track them by requiring buyers to use their kennel name.

8. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    I can only speak for my relationship with my breeder and not others she's sold puppies to...

Knowing I wanted to compete in Agility and other performance sports with Edan I was asked to keep her kennel name somewhere in his name. I don't know if that requirement is the same for other she sells puppies to.

Most of the dogs I know around here have their kennel name included in their registered name.

9. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    This is not true. You can change the dog's name for a fee after it's registered, but you can't change the kennel name on the dog once the dog has won an "award." Everything from a CGC title to any placement at a dog show counts. So if your dog has a kennel name, once he's won something, the name can't be changed.

10. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    With the cats you can petition to change until it has won anything or produced registered offspring.