Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Kibble costs/amounts

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by marymrumfelt, Apr 12, 2012.

1. marymrumfelt

marymrumfelt Forums Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    I'm trying to weight the price difference to see if it really will be cheaper to feed my foster kibble. I'm curious if someone can give me an estimate on say, for instance, how long a 12lb bag of Fromm(not sure if brand matters but maybe they eat less when better quality) would last when feeding one 40lb dog. It looks like it costs $35 and I can feed him raw for around $60 a month..I'm assuming it would last at least a month, but not sure.

Thanks in advance!

2. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I can't give you accurate numbers, but I will say that the higher quality the food, the more you will pay, but the less that you will need to feed. Simply because these food are more efficient, fill up the dog dog faster and concentrate nicely in their digestive systems....without expelling big, mushy poops at the end.

I can't comment on the cost of kibble vs. raw. It's such a personal decision.

3. marymrumfelt

Aug 16, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    Does anyone know the serving size for a 40lb dog on Fromm or whatever food people feed? That's what I'm looking for. I'm going to order it online b/c I can't get a lot close by so I can't see the back of the bag.

4. marymrumfelt

Aug 16, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    This is one reason I'm so hesitant to feed him kibble, b/c even a quality one will produce much bigger poos than raw and they won't turn to powder in two days so I'm gonna have to pick up poop! I'd be willing to spend $10 or so more a month to not have to do that... But if the savings of feeding kibble is a lot more, I'll scoop the poop lol

5. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    A 12lb bag of Fromm(4 star grain free) cost me about $33 with tax and lasts my 4 dogs about 2-3 weeks. I fed to condition so I am forever adjusting amounts based on how they feel.

Ember who is 14 lbs eats on avg 1/2c day Justice 20lbs eats 1.5-2 cups, Diva 20lbs and Birch 25lbs eat 2-2.5cups(they are my super actives). The last 3 have the metabolism of birds and I need to feed them more than the avg dog.

When Justice was on raw he ate 14-16oz(over 4%) of food a day and I still had a hard time maintaining his weight. Diva ate 12oz.(little under 4%) to give you an idea.

Raw was definitely costing me more. If I could get hunted game from my dad or find deals it was close but I just didn't have the time.

Stools are nice and firm on Fromm though bigger.

6. Justicemom

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    According to the bag I have here a 40 lbs dog would get 2 1/4 c to 3 cups a day.

7. marymrumfelt

Aug 16, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    OMG! You had to feed them so much more than mine. Hadley who is 20lbs eats 7 ounces and the other two are 15 and also eat 7 ounces. I was feeding Rudy, my foster, about 16 ounces. Mine don't do agility and stuff like yours but they spend a couple hours a day playing. Hadley gains weight fast and I was feeding her around 8ounces but I swear that one ounce less helped keep her from gaining. I was getting tons for free but it's all gone now and I'm looking at about $80 a month for my three b/c I feed them grass fed, organic, free-range b/c the soy they feed the commercial animals causes them to have dirty ears and stuff. I buy in bulk so it helps. I just need to sit down and do the math...

8. Justicemom

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Ember was like Hadley,she ate about 6 oz anymore and she would get fat. Of course, Ember would get cranky because she didn't get as much.

I remember when Diva was nursing her first litter and they were about 4 weeks old, I gave Diva a cornish game hen and thought I would let her work on it for awhile and take the rest away. I cleaned the puppy pen and turn aorund and the hen was gone! Diva is a pig and has jaws like a chainsaw.:lol: