Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Funny coat thing?

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by BarbV, Jun 27, 2014.

1. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Wasn't sure where to post this...

So Callan had his first "groom" 2 weeks ago. My groomer commented on how much undercoat he had, given his age and time if year. And she is correct....he does have a lot, though still covered with puppy fluff....little guard hair yet.

But a few days after his bath and brush out, I noticed a strip down his back about 2 inches wide and 4 inches long where there is very little undercoat. It looks like he has a reverse Mohawk! Poofy fur all around this one strip. And kinda bare down this strip.

I assume this is normal, and maybe getting his first big boy bath while starting to transition from his puppy coat to adult is likely the cause? Thoughts?

2. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    It sounds to me like it is the adult coat coming in. Generally you will see it in the bend of the tail first and then down the dorsal. It usually looks shinier than the rest of the coat.

3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    They all seem to "coat up" differently. Layla always looked like a Pantene Shampoo model. Bitsy looked like a coyote who'd rolled in Dippity Do. Beckon was a bit scraggly until he was about 8 months. No telling what you have until a year or so.

Right now Layla, at 8, is getting that heavy "Sheltie woman of a certain age" coat -- so lovely!! Why the hell can't my hair do that??? :cool: