Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Diamond Suspends Production

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by Lightplum, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Of certain foods made in SC Plant... Heres the brands that are thought produced there, if you feed any one you may have issues getting food....there was no reason given for the suspension....

Solid Gold
    Canidae/Felidae
    Natural Balance
    Kirkland (Costco Brand)
    Chicken Soup
    Taste of the Wild

Heres the Link

2. marymrumfelt

marymrumfelt Forums Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    Well, crap. I'm putting my foster on kibble b/c I can't afford to feed him raw (we have run out of free meat and not hunting season anymore) and these are basically all the ones at the feed store near me. I'm going to a bigger city in two weeks and I'm getting him Go! but I need to feed him a kibble until then... hmmm...

3. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    It's probably for Salmonella, which I am sure your dogs will handle fine :wink2: And you know how to handle food, so it shouldn't be a problem for you.

I just put in an e-mail to them and I will let you know what they say.

I would wonder if the food that you would use would come from SC? My guess is it would be more economical for them to distribute it from a plant that is closer to you.

4. marymrumfelt

marymrumfelt Forums Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    That's true, but I hate to give my money to a company that can't get their **** straight! I'm curious what they say, thanks for asking, and offering to rely the information to me.

It's only for my foster boy... I feel so guilty (silly, I know) but if I feed a quality kibble, it shouldn't be too bad.

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Thanks for sharing this, Linda. It's the first I've heard of it, and there are a number of premium foods on this list.

6. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    When I googled it, only the link that Linda shared came up. I am not finding out any information from any other source.

7. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Before everyone panics, this is the notice that I received today from my Head Office.

Please be advised that Diamond Pet Foods, the manufacturer of Taste Of The Wild and Chicken Soup, has asked all distributors to stop shipment of their products until further notice. This is currently a precautionary measure for **** has none of the products that we sell have been identified as being unsafe. The action arises from a recent voluntary recall on Diamond Natural’s Lamb and Rice dog food, which is not carried at ****. This product is manufactured in the same plant as TOTW and Chicken Soup. All warehouse shipments of TOTW and Chicken Soup will be shorted until further notice. At this time, no information available from Diamond has warranted the removal of product from sale in our stores.

The reason for the voluntary recall of the Diamond Natural’s Lamb and Rice dog food is a salmonella concern, and no illnesses have been reported currently. For reference the official voluntary recall notice information is included below or please visit the Diamond web site http://www.diamondpet.com/information/ . Please provide customers inquiring about Diamond Pet Food the toll free number 1(800) 442-0402.

Diamond Pet is extremely vigilant regarding product safety and is taking every precaution to ensure that there is no risk to their customers. This precautionary Stop Shipment has been put in place while they investigate the possibility of any further issues with other products coming out of this facility. At this time there have been no retail level recalls or Stop Sale notices issued for any of the products that we sell at ****

But it does highlight the fact that alot of the food that we feed, regardless of the brand, is actually manufactured in only a few plants in the US/

I guess that's why I like the Canadian brands so much....they develop and manufacture in the same place.

8. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Thanks for sharing that with us, Barb.

9. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    This is why I like Fromm. 1 company, 1 plant making 1 brand owned by the company in Wisconsin and 1 plant owned by the company making the canned in SD.

They just came out with 2 new flavors of grain free for a total of 4. My dogs love it. I feel really comfortable with them.

10. sable

sable Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008
    Thank you Dr. Shelli and Barb!

I read the article also. I brought this up, and posts were stated that your hands can cause the problem, yes they can. THE ARTICLE spoke about handling the food by THE PERSON using their hands to dispense the food into our dogs bowls, can be infected from the food by salmonella.

Lucky likes a bit of TOTW salmon and I just bought him a bag, so I will be calling them. I feed Wellness but I use TOTW as an appetizer for Lucky, he doesn't receive cups of it. Darn I just bought a bag for him.

The companies I believe buy up the best sellers, they do bulk, then there is contamination, just like human foods as I stated if its hamburger, etc..

I appreciate every heads up on contaminated food, and their recalls. I do respect Diamond to stop their production to see what the problem is with
    their dog foods. Possibly since the Lamb was contaminated the process to make the other brands used the same process machinery.

Where I bought the bag of dog food the gal had no idea until I told her TOTW was made by Diamond.