Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

By Height or Weight?

Discussion in 'The Sheltie Standard' started by JoonieB, Jul 28, 2014.

1. JoonieB

JoonieB Forums Regular

Feb 10, 2014
    MA
    Just curious....when estimating the size of a puppy should you rely more on the weight or the height at the withers? I'm asking because my boy right now who just turned 4 months is weighing in at just under nine pounds which would put him very low on the scale as an adult but height wise he is close to 12.5 inches which I think indicates an oversized or top of the standard adult. He is incredibly leggy and light boned Any ideas or just wait and see? He's still on a breakfast lunch and dinner schedule so he's a nice weight right now for his build. really the only reason I'm interested is because I plan on running him in agility so I'd like to get an idea on his jump height as an adult.

2. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    I'd always go by the height. That's what they measure by, not weight. That being said, if you plan on doing AKC agility, as long is the pup is under 18" they will jump 16". My boy is at 17 3/4ths. I don't remember what he was at 4 months, but I know at 8 weeks he was already 10 inches tall.

http://bowlingsite.mcf.com/size/size.html

this is the website I use though with all the different charts and it can give you a rough estimate. You will never know how tall a puppy will be though until it's a year old. Some stop growing sooner though or later.

Edited to add: Either way, it has your puppy in the safe zone as being between 13" - 16"

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  3. JoonieB

JoonieB Forums Regular

Feb 10, 2014
    MA
    Yes, that's what I was thinking. We'll be doing a little of everything (AKC, CPE, DOCNA, UKI) and I've been keeping my fingers crossed that he'll mature between 15.5-17". He was the biggest in his litter, but everyone with a Sheltie at trials tells me how small he is...oh well, guess I'll have to wait for a few months yet. Thanks for the input!

The breeder seemed pretty confident that he would be oversize.

Also, anyone know if there's any truth in the idea of AOACs reaching mature height before sables?

4. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Can I make you feel better by saying last Thurs. my 11 week old measured 12 inches and weighed 9 pounds? He came from a 17" father and a 13" mother and the whole thing is anybody's guess!

5. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    Dang! My guess is yours will be about Ruutu's height. He was growing by inches every week for a while. :eek2: Ruutu's mom is 17" and his dad I think is 14 or 15"

6. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I think we will be jumping with the big dogs when we hit school!

7. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Its truly hard to guage, but I'v been tracking Callan since birth. Using the chart, he still seems to be in range but maybe a little chubby....that's another thread......Measures betwenn 12 and 13 inches ant 14.6 pounds at 23 weeks.