Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Pee on a leash????

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by BarbV, Jun 24, 2014.

1. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Ok....sounds dumb but I've had 4 Shelties now and I've never been able to get them to pee while on a leash! Even on grass!

Part of the problem is that I have the luxury of always having fenced backyards so it is safe to just bring the dogs outside and let them to do their business. At home, he will pee outside whenever I bring him out, even if it's just a dribble.

Im not so troubled by Indy. He can hold it FOREVER! But little Callan is a problem. I bring him into the store several times per week and bring him out to pee and he just sniffs. Obviously, I don't want him peeing inside the store like a lot of my customer's dogs....so how do I get him to go?

The only thing I can think of is to practice at home by taking him out in the backyard when I know he has to pee, on the leash. And big praise. Then let him loose. Such a pain and I worry that I will create a new behaviour where he will do the reverse and only per on a leash. :gaah

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I had that problem when Shay was a tyke. We would walk and walk and walk (camping) before bedtime and it was a nightmare. It took him a long time to start peeing on leash. The more comfortable he got with the pee and poo on command command the easier it got. Now both Shay & Melli pee on command like before dog class and Shay will actually poo on command as well. Melli, well, she has her own agenda.

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    We have to train the show puppies early to go while on leash. Otherwise, it's likely to show up in the ring. :eek2: The only way to do it is just as you described...stick with it and eventually they figure it out. It's a good idea to take them out on leash when you know they're "full" so you get the desired result. Then praise and treat.

I've never had a problem with a dog unlearning to go in the yard. They're all able to do both, but do learn that when they're away from home they have to go on leash.

Isn't puppy training fun? :lol:

4. Sumac3890

Sumac3890 Forums Sage

Sep 12, 2008
    Fort Myers, Fl
    I have had that with Zoey. We took her in our fenced yard a few times on her leash but she still would not do her business on a leash.
    I work at a dog bakery on Monday's and get to take Zoey & Zak with me, she has gone there 3 times now and there is a grassy area out back and finally yesterday she pee'd. Normally she holds it for ever. She can even not pee before bed time and hold it till after breakfast. She wants out of her crate but it is just to see us.
    I praised her like crazy yesterday. She has pooped once while on the leash. Funny how these little things make us so happy.

5. ute_fan

ute_fan Forums Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2012
    Utah
    I don't normally have this problem as we have a fenced yard, and Callie doesn't get to come to work with me. However, we took her on vacation to Yellowstone with us last summer, and ran into difficulties.

One of the park policies is that all dogs have to be on leashes at all times. Makes sense, when you think of all the wild animals running around and what a bear or wolf could do to a 15 lb. dog -- but I hadn't even thought about her not wanting to go potty on leash.

Between the leash, and the fact that there's hardly any grass inside the park (lots of weeds, but very little manicured grass), I was afraid she was going to hurt herself holding it in. She finally gave in about day 2 and peed, but when it came to pooping, there was no way she was going in the weeds! There's a small area with real grass in Mammoth, and when we got there and let her out she was so relieved!

Definitely an issue for them -- and something to consider if you plan on traveling with them too.

6. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    I never had any problem with either dog, even with a fenced yard at home. But, like Callie, my Trace hated the bathroom "facilities" when we went to the Grand Canyon. It was difficult to find grass anywhere - campsites, rest areas etc. He did eventually go, but was never very happy about it. Funny how you take something as simple as grass for granted...

7. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Yes it is amazing. Puppies develop substrate preferance(ie what they prefer to go on) by 8.5 weeks. So anything they have been used to going on becomes default prefered if it was comfortable. Thats why it is super important to start teaching puppies to pee on the things you want them to go on before 8.5 weeks. Thats iwhy I do not like paper training unless that is what they are going to go on long term. Best to get those pups outdoors ASAP.

I start training mine on and off leash, in the yard and in an expen from the time they come home. There are usually started at 5 weeks before they come home. We put them on grass, pee gravel, wood chips, dirt, weeds, concrete when they are begining to learn. All with the command go potty when placed in the potty area. SO later all I need to said is go potty and they go. I travel, go to shows and go to classes so it is super important the dogs learn to only go when allowed.

If they are older, you can still teach them it will just take longer. The only thing you can do is take them out on leash, say go potty(or whatever) and wait, if they don't go. You take them in watch them and repeat in 10 or so minutes. Yes it is a pain but then that is part of having a dog that can go places.

8. Mei-Li

Mei-Li Forums Regular

May 4, 2014
    Macao
    It starts at home!

Really....at home or fence garden , wathever...you tell him: good pee, good poopoo and reward with a treat so they learn the names.

After outside say: pee, poopoo, not constantly like a parrot but once in 5 mins or such.

If she does inside the store....say, NO pee, NO poopoo and do not reward her.

Once he tries on leash remain quiet so the activity of pee and poopoo is a private act and when it is done just make a big big big party! With :pop and lots of rewards!

9. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Pretty much as I thought! I was so pleased that I've got him almost house trained ....now i have to introduce a new dynamic. So, back on leash I think.

10. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    Dickens wouldn't do it either, for quite some time. It was only after he started lifting his leg that he started in with it; now he wants to stop for every tall blade of grass.