Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Allergic to dogs

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by JessicaR, Aug 12, 2014.

1. JessicaR

JessicaR Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    HELP!!! My husband's Dr. thinks he is allergic to dog fur :(

The past month my hubs has been having problems with his eyes, they have been burning and itching and red. When he is away from home (at work or traveling for work) his eyes are fine. within 30 minutes of being home they start burning again. Dr. put him on allergy meds and said he should get rid of the dogs :eek2: Hubs told him that isn't going to happen that the dogs are a part of the family. The meds is helping somewhat, it is now tolerable but he is still pretty miserable.

Any suggestions on what I can do to help relieve some of his allergies?

Right now we have made the bedroom a dog free zone, and I am trying to speed up the shedding process with baths and brushing them, outside of course! Also lots of vacuuming.

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    allergy shots- friend is getting them for cats.....

3. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Look into an air filters for the primary rooms your husband is in and clean them regularly. HEPA filters are the best (as far as I know) on the market for cleaning many types of allergens out of the air. A whole house system would be best but they are expensive.

Fastidious cleaning and dusting along with the regular grooming will help also.

If your hubby pets the dogs, he should wash his hands immediately afterward.

4. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Allergy shots - they will build up the immunity. Frequent vacuuming to get the dander and dog hair. Block them from the bedroom if possible or from a room where he can go and not be around them for a while. Antihistamines - sometimes it takes a few kinds to find the right one. Hepa filter - to block the pet fur and dander. Do you have a furnace - if so get the ducts cleaned professionally. Keep the dogs well brushed and you may need to vacuum ore often. He should take his antihistamines regularly and if he takes them prior to coming home, do so about a hour or so to get it into his system.

5. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    I second what a couple people have already said.. allergy shots and a HEPA air filter for every room.. lots of vacuuming and washing linens and anything that can collect pet dander. I think it takes a while for allergy shots to fully kick in though.

6. JessicaR

JessicaR Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    wonder why the Dr didn't mention a shot, maybe because he is waiting for the results from his patch test to come in. Right now he is on Allegra, and some kind of eye drops. Its funny my hubs has never had any allergies before now. It just had to be dogs. :no:

7. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    I wouldn't risk it ... too much for the immune system to handle; he could end up getting sick. (Just my opinion.) I took the infernal things from the age of 13 to 15 and from 19 to 20; I had to quit them; I was coming down with infectious sicknesses every week. And to all appearances, they did nothing for me; I'm still allergic to weeds, grasses, molds, tobacco smoke, cat dander, and yes, dog dander. I take a daily 10 mg of monteleukast, brush the dog routinely, vacuum, and change the vacuum cleaner bag frequently. It seems to do the trick.

8. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Hepa vacuum also. But I would want results and leery of a Dr that recommends getting rid of the family pet before test results are even in. Good luck mine are easy mild hay fever and horrible seafood. So minor discomfort at times and seafood is poison so avoid all traces.

9. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    Maybe some Flonase and singulair can help.....

10. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    Next door neighbours hubby is allergic to cats - their cat is now 17 years old and gets a weekly bath. She swears that it helps.