Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

It's almost time for spring semester!

Discussion in 'Fuzzy Photo Updates' started by Mom2Melli, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    For those you following my wiggly piggly and her diet . . . everyone recommended exercise too . . . so . . . it just so happens that my trainer is opening a new class March 4th on Melli's level. Yes, back to school daze for us! I was thinking more May since I live at the snow line, but we have had no snow, or rain, or even clouds. Starting back up with the obedience where we left off with an eye on scent and maybe some easy agility later. Melody's ready and licking her lips at the thought of training treats!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Lol, so you haven't told her it's carrots for training treats yet:wink2:.

3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    "Don't forget to pack me a lunch, Mom!"

4. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    LOL! Yes, she will be disappointed that the yummies aren't so yummy!

This is why I didn't have trouble with her trying to kill and eat us straight off. I put her right into school and between class and practice she got an extra meal of treats a day! When we finished for the season she missed the extra treats (even the little 1 calorie bites I got) and decided she was oh, just too hungry to survive.

So far so good -- kibble & veges back on on the menu! Let's see if we can go longer than a week without flipping out!

5. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Oh ho! Give me even bigger kudos! Our obedience class doesn't start until March 4th and I realized I could squeeze in a short intro to agility class before then! Ha ha! In a couple weeks the wiggly piggly is going to be an agility star! OK, waddle her way through! This should be interesting because this will be the first time I have braved agility due to having had a torn knee I'm too stubborn to have surgery on.

School daze, school daze!

6. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Good for you for getting out and doing things with her.

I know every intro class is different, but I just want to caution you about doing anything other than foundations and flatwork (and a good foundation is key--so there is plenty to learn and work on.)

Jumping, climbing, and weaving for an overweight dog can be detrimental to their overall health.

7. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Thank you -- I told the teacher she waddles, she can do only low impact, and nothing more daring than something like the stairs she uses to get on and off the bed or our home staircase.

She said in Agility 1 everything is very low and beginner and no one needs to do jumping. Ladder flat on the ground (which I have seen), jumps that are only a couple inches high (which she did well in obedience), hoop on the ground to just walk through, tunnel (short), very far apart weave poles, an ajustable A frame that goes out to almost flat, a board to down on that is flat on the ground. She said in Agility 1 it is all very flat. I will take pix! Should be laughs.

We shall see! Everyone and everyone says this is a confidence builder so we will see if she feels self-satisfied in some way. Just 4 classes and pretty cheap fee.

I am looking forward to it! Esp. the final week where that is Sunday and then Tues. starts up the obedience. We will be crazy that week!