Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

poop eater

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by bobbymac, Feb 23, 2014.

1. bobbymac

bobbymac Forums Novice

Feb 23, 2014
    Oklahoma
    My new pup is doing great at 13 weeks: sleeps all night, crate trained, walks on leash, one accident in last four days. BUT, he likes to eat, carry his poop. Any suggestions?

2. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    You can try meat tenderizer in the food; it's supposed to make the stool bitter....

3. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    Hanna is also a poop eater - we make sure to pick it up as soon as it gets deposited. She gets dry kibble, so not sure meat tenderizer would work for her but I wonder if the bitter apple spay I have would work on poop. Going to give it a try and see what happens. It would be lovely if I could ger her to leave it.

4. ttexan

ttexan Forums Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Sandia Park, NM
    Try putting some diluted pineapple juice in a spray bottle and spraying the dry food just a bit before he eats. We tried the MSG/meat tenderizer and like you say, it doesn't stick to the dry food and also did not seem to work. They love the pineapple juice also.

5. cookieP

cookieP Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2014
    Spartanburg, SC
  6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I have one that does this too. I tried the Only Natural pills and they did nothing. Same for meat tenderizer. I haven't tried pineapple, but so far the only thing I've found that works is following them around with a scooper and picking it up as it lands.

I've been told that puppies usually grow out of this habit. I sure hope so! :ick

7. bi-blacks

bi-blacks Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2012
    Winnipeg, Mb. Canada
    All I can say is good luck. Our 2 are poop eaters too and we've tried it all to deter this disgusting habit but to no avail. My best advice is to be out there when he goes and pick it up right away. We also have a husky so with 3 it is sometimes hard to be out at all times but it is our best solution.

8. Sheltie4

Sheltie4 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2013
    Kansas City
    I have tried everything mentioned, and agree that the only way to stop it is to pick it up right away (not easy in bad weather with multiple dogs).

Additionally, my two munchers seem to have taught Jonesie their disgusting habit!

It does not seem to be a puppy thing - my dogs are all adults.

9. Bradt9881

Bradt9881 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2014
    Fayetteville, NC
    That seems the best!

10. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    hahahaa one of mine sees me with the scooper and has apparently learned it means you must eat faster:ick Or if you yell NOOO that also means eat quicker.. I want to trade her in some days:gaah