Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Emma's visit to a seniors' home

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Emmasmom, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    The therapy group finally had a night visit to a local seniors' home, where I have wanted to take Emma. Tonight was our first visit. She did great - she was loved. One lady was trying to figure out a way she could keep Emma and hide her in her room - she loves dogs. Emma had more than her fair share of cookies. It is a blessing to me to be a blessing to the ladies and gentlemen there - they have had dogs but can no longer have them. They were just so glad to see the dogs tonight.

But - why would the group allow someone to come visit when they know there are going to be multiple dogs there and their dog is known not to like other dogs. This was a big Akita. Because of this Emma didn't get to see everyone the way she should. I hadn't got in the room when the owner's boyfriend came over, greeted us and told us this. Sort of turns me off the group - there are a lot of issues with this group I am trying to work through, as to whether I stay or not.

I had approached another therapy group - to join them, I would have to become the local representative as there is none in the area. Still working through that.

Just had to share how well Emma did - she is a natural. She is of course more used to seniors, having lived with my parents, and she is not exposed to kids much - I don't see the kids in the family much any more. She did our breed proud tonight.

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    That is awesome. Sounds like Emma enjoyed it, and the residents enjoyed it.

Does seem odd that a non dog friendly dog would be there. Hope you can figure out the best thing for you and Emma.

3. EJHUNTL

EJHUNTL Forums Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2013
    Ontario, Grand Bend
    I know first hand how much seniors appreciate visits from friendly pets. I've only ever known one Akita - absolutely beautiful, but she had an inexperienced owner and became very aggressive - they are not a dog I would think suitable for therapy unless extremely well socialized and behaved. Seems odd to me they would allow it in a group when it does not like other dogs.

Good luck with sorting out what to do. I hope you do stick with it however as your little girl can make such a huge difference to the people she visits.

4. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Wonderful Emma!!! Steer clear of the Akita and you'll be fine!

5. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    I found out this morning they closed the only time I can go to this seniors' home to the Akita only. Such a shame - Emma was more of a hit with the people than the Akita. I guess I'll have to continue to research groups. This group leader seems to like big dogs and lots of them. They really don't take into account that not everyone is comfortable with big dogs. I am still shaking my head that this Akita would have passed the evaluation at all, when you have to be around other dogs.

6. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    That is really weird. Most therapy groups require dogs to be able to tolerate other dogs.

Sounds like you, Emma, and the residents really enjoyed the experience. I would love to have a therapy dog. Unfortunately, my dog doesn't have the right temperament. One day, I hope to be able to volunteer with the right dog.

I hope you find another therapy group that is more responsible.

7. JLSOhio51

JLSOhio51 Forums Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    I'm not sure that I would want to remain with my dog in a therapy group that was so cavalier as to allow a group visit of dogs with one or more of the dogs having potential dog aggression issues. Emmasmom, you are right to have second thoughts about membership in this group (IMO).

If the therapy group is not aware of the dog's potential aggression (in other words, the owner and boyfriend are somehow able to hide the aggression), then I would find the testing ability of the therapy group questionable. I can't believe that the facility that you visited is aware of this potential problem due to the sever liability that they could incur, should this Akita react while onsite. This entire situation sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

8. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    The group must be aware of the situation - they have closed this time frame to only one team - that time. It is a shame that they are letting themselves be liable to this. I doubt the seniors' home is aware of this dog. She was being petted or fussed over much - Emma was. I have had two minds about this group since day one. I just don't have a comfortable feeling about the nonchalant, who cares attitude of the founder. They also send in newby teams on their own with no instructions or mentoring.

9. JLSOhio51

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    If you are correct, and I have no doubt that you are, I wouldn't participate in anything that this group sponsored. (Understand, this is a choice that I would make, not necessarily what anyone else should choose to do). Even if nothing ever happened to me or my dog, I would still feel horrible if something happened to another dog, another therapy volunteer or God forbid a resident or patron of a facility being serviced when I knew (or at least felt) that the therapy group sanctioned unsafe practices. Good luck with whatever choice you make.

10. JLSOhio51

Mar 16, 2013
    Ohio
    Emmasmom:

This topic sparks a question in my mind (because of the "boyfriend of the owner comment") for you or anyone in the SN family who has therapy dogs. Do most therapy dog sanctioning groups allow the dog owner to bring a tag along person to a therapy visit? I know that I think like a business person on this topic, but if I founded a therapy organization, I would be unlikely to want anyone besides trained, certified individuals going into facilities supposedly in the guise of representing my organization.