Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Doing abit of a crtl-al-dlte

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by BarbV, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Barb, sometimes your wisdom staggers me. Sending love to Indy, David, Ryan and you!! :hugs

2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Totally understand this. When Skye finally passed from kidney disease, I was also lost, because so much time and effort went into worrying, assessing, & caring for her. Asta was only a year and a half old then, and she definitely had less of us at that time in every sense of the phrase.

I would also take a breath, spend time re-bonding with Indy before introducing another dog, although I think it's great that you want to. Don't rush it, it won't fill that Bacca-shaped hole in your heart.

My thoughts are with you. :hugs

3. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Having been a caregiver and lost family and animals, my advice:

1. take one day at a time.

2. don't let anyone tell you how to grieve or how long to grieve. It is YOUR grief.

3. don't rush into getting another dog. give Indy time with you - he needs it.

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I think that major life events like this do make us reevaluate where we're at. That's a good thing. It sounds like you've made a good start with your analysis. The next step is to decide what you want to act on.

My suggestion is not to let anyone tell you when the appropriate time is or is not to do something, like adding a new dog to your life. You will know when it's right, and it may not be when you think it should be. It just happens. Try not to second-guess yourself...trust your instincts.

Hang in there, Barb. This is a difficult time, and we share your pain. :hugs

5. Sullivan

Sullivan Forums Enthusiast

May 29, 2013
    Florida
    Sending all good thoughts your way. I went through the same things when my Angel Bambi had to cross the Bridge, she has been gone now for 4 1/2 years and I still sometimes shed a tear or two when I think of her. But I can also remember fondly and even laugh at a remembered antic she pulled. Your grief is yours and yours along, no one can tell you when and how to go through this process. It will be what you need, when you need it. I'm sure Indy is grieving also and you both need your time. IF another fur baby is in your future, only you will know when the time is right. Don't push for anything you are not ready to give, things in your life will never be as they were. Your journey has taken a different path and you must follow at your own pace. Time does heal all wounds, will you ever forget? Of course not, but you can take comfort knowing that you will see your Bacca again. God Bless you and your family.

6. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Don't know what I said that was earth staggering.....just seemed common sense to me......but as always, Chris, I love you and your support. You and your pups have always held my back! Luv you!

7. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    It is so easy to lose yourself when you are being a care giver and it takes time to figure out what direction you want to travel once you no longer have to focus all your time, energy and emotions on a loved one who is struggling with a terminal illness...whether it be a human or one of our beloved little dogs.

You will know when you are ready for each step as you work to refocus your life. Wishing you strength as you make that journey.

Trini