Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Hello from Oak Lawn IL

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by debz1226, Mar 14, 2014.

1. debz1226

debz1226 Forums Novice

Mar 14, 2014
    Illinois
    Hi,
    My name is Debbie and I have 2 Shelties named Annie and Oliver. I just adore them!!
    Can anyone tell me if their Sheltie paces at night. Annie was up all night pacing and asking to go out every 45-60 min. She is sound asleep right now of course!!!
    Any ideas?
    Deb

2. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Hi Debbie, welcome to you, Annie and Oliver,

Does your Annie pace at night normally...or is this a sudden change in behavior? If this is a change, and she is constantly wanting to go out to urinate, she may have a urinary infection(UTI). A urine sample taken to the vet's can dx whether or not this is the case. If she has suddenly started drinking a lot more water than normal, then other factors may be involved and your vet would probably recommend doing bloodwork.

Another thought...is anything going on outside at night that is pulling her attention...other animals, etc? We live in a rural area with many coyote packs and the nights they are extra active and howling my dogs tend to be restless. The only other time one of mine may pace is if he/she is in some level of discomfort.

Glad you joined us and hope all is well with your Annie. :)

Trini

3. debz1226

debz1226 Forums Novice

Mar 14, 2014
    Illinois
    Pacing

Thank you Trini for your reply.
    I did think of the UTI possibility however she is not doing that since we got up for the day.
    We live in the suburbs but do have problems with coyotes, therefore I never let them out unattended. She also loves to eat snow which she also did every time I took her out. You know how smart Shelties are, she probably knew it was going to melt today!! LOL.
    I also have another question- does anyone have problems with their Shelties anal glands needing to be evacuated frequently- like every 4 weeks?
    Deb

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    welcome:smile2:
    we love pix:yes:

5. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    My shepherd will pace if he has one of those grumbly squeakers of a tummy. The sheltie only cares if it is really stormy.

6. Laddie's Mom

Laddie's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2013
    N/A
    Welcome to SN from New Zealand