Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

removing urine odor?

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by bkzoo, Jun 24, 2014.

1. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Since we will be bringing Baker home in 11 days, I want to make sure I am as prepared as can be...

When Trace got sick in January he had 3 accidents in the house, peeing twice on the carpet & once overnight in his crate. The carpet smell is a non-issue since we had it ripped out & replaced with tile this Spring.

I am concerned that there may be lingering smell on the plastic crate tray (it is a black, wire crate). Of course I washed everything down with cleaner, followed by bleach - but does anyone think the new pup will still be able to smell anything? Should I spray it with a commercial odor remover? bleach again? vinegar?

I sure don't want Baker to smell any trace of urine, but I also don't want to offend his tiny nose with chemical smells either.

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I have used Simple Solution for tons of years with good success. I also have Nature's Miracle on hand but I tink I like Simple Solution better.

3. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Natures Miracle!

But I'm sure the crate pan will be fine. Plastic does readily absorb odour.

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I have tried them all in the years I've had dogs. I used to swear by Natures Miracle until the company was sold and they changed the solution. It didn't work for me after that. Stains and smells didn't come out.

About two years ago, I found Fizzion. Best stuff ever!!! It oxidizes the stain and the odor and they are GONE. Literally overnight. It's non-chemical and safe to use around pets and kids. We have a white rug in our family room (moment of serious stupidity...) and this stuff takes out every kind of pet stain and other stains too. They're little tablets like Alka Seltzer that you dissolve in the spray bottle that comes with them. They last a long time and then you just order the tablet refills. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Fizzion-Empty...id=1403638952&sr=8-2&keywords=fizzion+cleaner

5. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Thanks Ann - I'll check them out.