Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Oh no. USDAA PSJ...no Q yet

Discussion in 'Agility' started by k9kreationz, Apr 7, 2012.

1. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    very nice clip and yeah, pulling into that distant tunnel was not so easy. Koji was fast working with good distance- great job!

2. Hurtseverywhere

Hurtseverywhere Forums Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2010
    London Ont
    yep looks like a nice smooth run to me, very nice.

3. ortegah

ortegah Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Your jumpers run looked great! That doesn't look like a slow dog to me :wink2:

You know I've done P1 Jumpers 3 times now and no Q yet? It's driving me batty! We have no problem with Ex JWW in AKC yet every time I do P1 Jumpers something stupid happens to mess it all up! :lol:

4. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    Want me to give you a hint? Remember how spread out it is. With that much room between obstacles, you have to give cues ahead of time, before doggie starts to look at you. ;)

Everytime I do anything but AKC, I have to remind myself that the other venues are a bit more spread out. Maybe not Masters, but P1, come now, there were 15 obstacles, spread out, run like heck and hope there aren't any funny things in there. lol. I always have to remind myself to actually give Koji a command for the next obstacle (in AKC, my motion is enough). I have to talk to him more....otherwise, he's looking at me, waiting, as we're running. haha.

And lastly, I actually ran my butt off in that course. And by that, I mean I pushed myself hard to get Koji moving. It's also why I almost ran into some things. LOL. It's why Koji was hauling! Usually I can't get that kind of speed in with AKC cuz you don't typically run the course that openly. It was fun though.

5. ortegah

Oct 18, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Yeah he's definitely not used to courses being that open with so few twists and turns. We have Regionals next weekend so we'll see if I can remember to cue him ahead of time :biggrin2:

6. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Maybe it was the heat. Maybe Koji was tired on Sunday. But y'know, we ran a lot better. It was very strange. I'm not sure if there was anything I could do, or not do, to help him settle down.

Sunday we ran Standard, Gamblers, Pairs, and Snooker. We Q's only in Pairs. But it's okay, because there is so much more going on that at least I'm seeing now.

With Gamblers, we did the DW TWICE!!! TWICE!!! He got his contacts. The second time around, he stopped above his 2o2o a bit, I waited and he bounced. I went on. Stupid me. The first time though, beautiful contact Koji! AND although it wasn't too difficult this time, we got the gamble!!! I thought I may have gotten it because the judge didn't call it. Someone told me he had knocked his mic off and looked down when Koji came down the AF. Well, I guess either he caught us, or someone told him Koji missed it, so no Q. Koji missed it by 6". Heck, I was happy about the lateral distance (with a bit of a push - video to come tonight). Overall, for me, it was a wonderful run even without the Q.

Standard. OMG, he was in a down as we were "on deck". He was barking at me constantly the entire time. I knew the DW was going to happen. As I ran, gave him the command, he slowed a bit, but I could tell, he was going to hop off. I should have given it again, but didn't. He jumped, he got put into a sit and carried off. Walk of shame. hehehe.

We had a Q in Pairs already and my partner (who I know) also had a previous Q, so I told her I'd do the side with the DW so I could test Koji. He got his contact beautifully and on we went. Oh, she has a Sheltie too. A beautiful sable merle (and you can tell he's merled, which I rarely see). He makes Koji look "normal sized" as he's a whopping 20". It was fun to watch. lol.

OMG, Snooker. Typically Koji is a pro at it being a velco dog. But duh! There was this part and I went for it.....bad choice. He took a color after a color and we were whistled off. Darn it! That was soooo my bad handling. Oh well.

Next up.....this coming weekend, one-day ASCA to train and proof his DW contact and another PSJ run at Regionals in two weeks. It's basically going to go like this. Run Friday for qualifying. If I Q, stay. If I don't, go home. It'll be like that everyday. Either I'll be there running or driving home. I just need to be clean. Sigh. It's always been one small stupid thing.

I think I'm going to get him adjusted this week or next. He's been popping weaves like crazy this weekend.

I'm so proud of him and his DW contacts. At least I know what to expect before going in. I just wish I knew what set him off or not. I did notice that if I don't take the mat with me when he's "on deck" he gets semi-crazier. If I take it with me, he's fine. I just throw it out of the way before the next dog comes to the gate. I also noticed me walking him around gets him really wound up so I have to calm him down before. At least I'm figuring this out. :) and I can tell by his contacts that he's getting it.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  7. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    I'm assuming you're doing the mid-Atlantic Regionals? Looks like we'll be there at the same time. Well, Regionals, but not the same one. lol. If I remember, I'll remind you to cue Trax earlier.

8. ortegah

Oct 18, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Ok, send me some reminder vibes and we'll see if we catch them, LOL!

9. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    I gotta say. I'm excited to give AKC a try again for Standard. It'd be nice to get him into ExB and start earning some QQ's. :) I probably won't push it. After this months craziness of trialing, I probably won't trial until June. I'll need to keep up on his contact training though.

10. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    I was thinking more along the lines of PMing you.