Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

raw vs freeze dried

Discussion in 'BARF, Raw & Natural Diets' started by Mindlessbear, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Mindlessbear

Mindlessbear Forums Regular

Jun 12, 2014
    Illinois
    Hey folks... just joined the forums. I had three dogs that I fed raw too. One was a sheltie, the other were mixed breeds, one who survived parvo. I have to say, I was very impressed with the diet. It takes work and dedication, but the six years my guys were on it they looked amazing. I'm currently looking at breeders for a sheltie, and have decided to go with a more natural/organic diet. I don't know if I can go pure raw, because we don't have the freezer space to buy meat in bulk. Has anyone tried any of the freeze dried diets?

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I use Dr. Harvey's Canine Health Miracle Pre-Mix for Pixie, who needs a specialized diet. You rehydrate the food with hot water, let it sit for 8 minutes and add your protein of choice, cooked or raw, and 1 teaspoon of oil. They recommend rotating proteins each week. I really like this food! When you open the bag it smells so good and fresh you want to eat it yourself. You can also call and talk to Dr. Harvey who consults on individual questions or issues free of charge.

They make a grain free, all-veggie mix as well as the basic pre-mix too. It's available at lots of online sources, including Amazon.
    http://www.drharveys.com/products/line/17-dogs#type-3

3. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    I have at one point tried to switch Watson over to raw... he LOVED it! However, I was in grad school and working full time which left my some what squeamish boyfriend to do most of the feeding-- he was not impressed with tossing him a chicken thigh. So, back to kibble we went.

Ann- I am reading the website for Dr. Harvey's and it might just be a good compromise for us... Given recent history, I definitely am more concerned that he gets high quality food (although, I don't know that I think a switch over would be a good plan right now...) The website shows the instructions (3 scoops, 8oz water and 6oz meat) is to be a single serving of 1 pound... Now, Watson eats only 2/3 cup of kibble right now... he definitely would not be eating a pound of food a day.

Do you tend to make up the whole 1 pound serving and divide it up over a few days or make smaller servings each day? Does it keep well once it's been mixed up?

4. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    I have a Collie with bloat in the family. So the idea of expanding food terrifies me. The shelties would probably be fine on a dehydrated food, but I can't risk the Collie.

5. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    I feed Stella and Chewys frozen raw patties. My dog has been on it for about 2 years. She has done very well it on it. Her health and digestive system has been the best its ever been since I made the switch.

I also don't have much room in my freezer and I do like how convenient it is, so it works out great for me. It is much more expensive than kibble and real butcher-shop raw, but I only have 1 tiny Sheltie, so it is doable.

6. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    Rachael- I had that same concern when I first read it too and it would be even compounded if I had to worry about someone prone to bloat. It looks like it soaks in the water to rehydrate it-- so I guess it's dehydrated for easier storage? I would imagine after it's rehydrated the expanding would be done, or minimal by the time it's fed. My concern would be bacterial growth or molding though after it's moistened since I wouldn't be feeding the whole batch all at once... Not sure if that is a big concern though, I suppose we refrigerate our own food all the time..

7. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I have used SoJo either for a filler if I was short food or topper off when travelling.
    https://www.sojos.com/
    Personally I don't believe it gives you the benefits a whole raw food diet gives you, so I wouldn't do it permanently over raw.
    Especially the teeth and keeping them mentally engaged with having to work on their food, like dogs do on real raw. BUT if you can feed beef or lamb or pork neck bone, or chicken or turkey necks once a week, I am sure it could work, definitely better than kibble

8. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    I do a half-and-half with Dickens: I give him half the recommended amount of a good, high-protein brand of kibble, then make up the balance in raw meat, mostly chicken and beef. He seems to be doing really well on it and his weight is constant. It's not time-consuming at all.

9. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    The people at Dr. Harvey's say you can make up the food and keep it up to three days in the fridge, or freeze it in portions and it can be kept longer. Pixie eats 1/4 cup of kibble twice a day so I've had a hard time figuring out what the equivalent of this should be...naturally she'd eat the whole thing if she could. So I have kept it in the refrigerator and it's fine, although I wouldn't do it longer than two days.

10. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    My guy doesn't care much for raw chicken pieces. I've tried backs, wings, necks - he just turns up his nose.

Any ideas?

I don't have that problem with beef marrow bones, he loves those. I found a place that has knuckle bones and he gets one or two a week.

Question: do raw meaty beef bones have too much fat/calories for a dog who is a little chubby?

I bought a trial size bag of Honest Kitchens freeze dried raw that you mix with water. I'm making a slurry with kibble for my old Lhasa, she loves it. Sheltie boy gets it as a little soup for Sunday dinner ...

Wish I cared as much about my own diet as I do theirs!