Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

When does a sheltie's coat "grow out"?

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by NHAnimator, Apr 1, 2010.

1. NHAnimator

NHAnimator Forums Regular

Mar 20, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Figured this was the best topic to ask this:

Jake the Dog is almost 14 months old and his coat has not grown long. He's a little chesty now, but I kind of expected the traditional sheltie look in the 12 to 18 month range. He's not there yet, though.

Thanks in advance,
    NHAnimator

2. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    From what I have learned here and read,it depends alot on lineage of the dog. I have noticed that also in many pictures that folks post.How some pups look fluffier & fuller than others.And are the same age as our two here.

I am sure it is a genetic thing.

3. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    More like the 2-3 year range. It takes them a while to get their full coat. Sadie will be 3 this summer and I've only just noticed that her coat is starting to thicken up.

My parent's sheltie has a very full coat but his didn't fully come in till he was three.

Ginny on the other hand is much fluffier than either Sadie or Milo was at 8 months old. I don't think it will take her as long.

4. Arby0617

Arby0617 Forums Regular

Mar 20, 2010
    Newmarket, NH
    The full Sheltie coat is their adult coat, so it shouldn't come in until about age three. That was the case with our late Sheltie, a sable and white.

5. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Edan didn't get his full coat until about 2.5; that's normal for my breeders dogs.

6. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    tap tap tap
    still waiting... for thick, full coat, lol
    Toffee will be 2 in July.... you giving me hope, LOL

7. Herd4fun

Herd4fun Forums Enthusiast

Feb 26, 2010
    New York(Not the city)
    what is his lineage? Can you post a copy of his pedegree? That might help some of us give you a hint as to when to expect it.

8. brfugon

brfugon Forums Novice

May 11, 2010
    Singapore
    My sheltie is 2yrs & coming 2mths old. He has been losing nearly 65% of his undercoat although he still have a nice glossy & flowy outer coat esp at his chest & leg's feathering! His sire is a canadian sheltie while his mum is a local.
    He has completed 6mths supplies of salmon fish oil & omega oil supplements. But have not seen much improvements? Although as mentioned above, it might take 3yrs to get the full coat... my male sheltie is losing his inner coat each day! I've to brush him every alt day to keep the coat flying everywhere!
    Can anyone advise?

9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Coat is also dependent on climate. Both my shelties look like fluff balls atm because we are heading into freezinf temps and they do spend time outside in the cold. Desexed dogs tend to have 2 sheds - the big spring shed to prepare for summer and then getting rid of the summer coat for winter. i have to brush my male every day in spring to help get the undercoat out. This winter started, then got warmer, then colder - so he grew a winter coat, shed it and grew it again.

The supplements will help the quality of their coats but not necessarily help with making the coat longer or help with shedding.

10. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    It just sounds like he's blowing his coat, which is normal.

Shelties blow coat once or twice yearly, usually in the spring/fall. Since your pup is getting older and getting more coat, he's going to shed more of his undercoat than he did the previous year.

Its not abnormal and there is nothing you can do about it except brush more often to remove the loose fur.

If he has bald spots, then that would be something to be concerned about.

It may take another year for his coat to get fuller. My parent's sheltie had hardly any undercoat till he was 3. Now he has a beautiful, thick coat. :smile2:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Ontario...key=Gv1sRgCMvUzITllqDT2QE#5205505357920086194
    http://picasaweb.google.com/Ontario...key=Gv1sRgCMvUzITllqDT2QE#5205494547487401970

Last edited: May 11, 2010