Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Our Sheltie Is Stressed When We Leave

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by karendana, May 2, 2014.

1. karendana

karendana Forums Novice

May 2, 2014
    Englewood, NJ
    Our female sheltie is 3 years old. She gets very upset and stressed out when we leave the house. Some mornings when we leave for work she won't eat her breakfast because she anticipates that we are leaving soon and starts to spin and bark in a frenzy. Our other sheltie (10 year old boy) is her best friend and he is very calm. He knows that we will return later. We also have our dog walker who comes every day around 12:30 for a walk which they love. My husband and I remain calm and ignore her but this hasn't worked. Does anybody have any suggestions how to calm her down?

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Try doing small bits, step outside, return and treat. Step outside for 1 minute, return and treat. Then 2 minutes. Then 3 minutes. 20 minutes. Just random going and coming of various lengths and not in the pattern of leave, be gone all day, return, at the same time every day. Just be going and coming a whole lot and every time there are jackpot treats. The dog walker should treat on arrival. Everytime you return it is a party with treats and toy play and whatever she likes most. Make your return SO great she is glad you leave so you can return and get stuff. That is what I read to do.

3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Separation stress. I've been through all this with my male, never been able to cure him but instead we manage it. Try distracting her when you leave. Is she crated when you leave? It just makes a difference how to handle it. If she isn't crated try hiding a few treats in the room as you leave (or if you are in a hurry throw treats behind as you go out the door). She may not want to eat at first but if there's competition for the food and it becomes a routine to get to 'work' for her food it's far less stressful. Just start with some higher value treats until she gets the idea then you can switch back to the boring stuff.

I can add more later - heading to get some shut eye.

4. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Try leaving a filled Kong for her - this works with my boy, who doesn't like me to leave him.

5. karendana

karendana Forums Novice

May 2, 2014
    Englewood, NJ
    Thank you for these three great ideas. I will try them and let you know how they work.

6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Our girls get peanut butter in their Kongs when we leave for the day. They can't WAIT for me to brush my teeth, which means the next step is they get their Kong. They definitely try to hurry me up!!! :lol: