Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Barn Hunt?!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by 2GoodDogs, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    The rats are "safe in a plastic tube" and "hidden under hay etc". From what I read in the AKC explanation of the sport.

What about heat stroke? Water? Suffocation by the hiding material? I am sure the rat feels some fear as the dog hunts it out (tube or no). I inherited a pet rat once when a coworker's son's huge python wouldn't eat her. She bit the snake instead. She had real fear issues when cornered or surprised though she was sweet otherwise and felt safe with me and other humans.

Like my earlier post -- what's in it for the rat?

2. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    The rats used at Family Pet Obedience school for testing and training live comfortably in heated/air conditioned cages at the center. I don't know what the rest of their lives are like, but they are treated like pets.

I've been to an Earthdog event, and I did feel sorry for the rats. Barn Hunt might not be quite so intense as that was.

And then if we are going to value all animals, what about the birds used for hunt tests?

3. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Them too. I personally don't go for using live anything for sport.

They may be treated well, but I have to assume they feel fear during the exercises as the dogs hunt for and find them.

I don't see why regular scent titles aren't enough, personally.

Not gonna dwell on it or call PETA, but I grew up with rats as pets and they are nice little beings.

4. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    There was just a bill introduced in the Georgia Legislature in the past few weeks to allow caged possum in the training of hounds. UKC does night time coon hunts.

I've killed mice and at least one rat in my kitchen in years past ... but for sanitary reasons, not my dog's amusement.

5. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Now opossums probably enjoy it! Nasty-tempered beasts! It gives them something to hiss at!

Just kidding.

I suppose I just view the using animals for sport, granted by and large they live and are not physically harmed but mentally very possibly, as a step backwards in holding life valuable.

I know, don't ask about hunting. I don't care for that unless it is a threatening animal and there is no other way or it is for food.

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Do they train or is it just something they turn up on the day and do? I get earth dog tests - it's testing instinct in certain breeds, but I still don't see the point of barn hunt. In earth dogs too they scent the train don't they, not use live prey.

7. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    It is a variation on Earth dog events. Last time I took a westie to an Earth dog trial the rat was busy nibbling on his seeds. He could care less about the dog. After the trial he went home to his owner's house. Not sure if I want to attend the barn dog event that we have been invited to. Don't need to do this as Phoebe is the gamiest westie I have ever owned.

8. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    I should mention that it is no worse than doing a herding instinct with sheep. Some dogs are over zealous and worry the sheep, even to the extent of grabbing them. While that is not permitted, it happens quite a bit at the instinct level.