Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Thoughts on Canidae?

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by bkzoo, Jun 15, 2014.

1. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    I am trying to decide on what to switch my current dog to that the new puppy will also be eating. Toby is doing fine on Blue Wilderness Duck & Sweet Potato, but I want to feed a lower protein food for the new Sheltie (once he's off puppy food).

TOTW scared me off after reading they use a couple ingredients from China. Natural Balance is what Trace was on for his entire too short life. Probably had nothing to do with the food, but I just couldn't feed that again.

I was looking at Merrick, after learning they are one of the few companies that uses ONLY USA ingredients. I liked what I saw but PetCo only carries 4 formulas, and they are all 38%protein.

Canidae is 32% protein, and "enthusiastically recommended" on DogFoodAdvisor. Just wondering if anyone has any experiences with this brand...

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I will be calling TOTW Monday! After that, my husband okay'ed anything that is TOP TOP TOP notch for the dogs. I threw out there Acana and he agreed. Earthborn is a little too much protein for my preference.

3. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    I settled on Canidae, grain free Pure Elements formula (32% protein). Funny - I was looking at some brands that were 4.5 stars, then kicked myself - why on earth would I feed anything less than the best???

I trust dogfoodadvisor, and there is always some reason they bump a food down.

I want the best for my babies!

4. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I really want to thank you Kristie -- I had no idea TOTW was using ingredients from China. After discussion with husband, I will be switching to Acana. I think I will donate my TOTW bag to a shelter. We have done well on it, but we decided that long term to choose the best in the bison/lamb combo.

Here is the quote off TOTW May 21st this year:

Taste of the Wild Pet Food Most of the ingredients in Taste of the Wild originate in the U.S. There are critical ingredients that are not available domestically in an adequate supply or with as much quality as our international supply. There are ingredients critical to our formulations (i.e. folic acid and taurine) that can only be sourced out of China. We believe not including these ingredients would not be in the best interest of your pet. We understand the concern of products sourced outside of the U.S. Food safety is our top priority. Our ingredients go through numerous quality assurance checks – from the time the ingredient arrives to the end process of shipping – to ensure the safety of our products.

5. bkzoo

bkzoo Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    You are most welcome. I sure hope I didn't offend any TOTW people. I actually wanted to start feeding Merrick, but they were all 38% protein. Bought Canidae today...keeping fingers crosses

ps - when do we get new pics of Cubby? (Cobby...lol)

6. Mom2Melli

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I think I still get to meet the Cob-meister on Fri. I will take pix.

That name is gonna stick! Yikes.

I am actually thrilled you found the Chinese connection. Our dogs mean SO much. Even on Acana it is $3 a day for all 3 to eat. That's not bad. We can do that.

7. dmeyer123

dmeyer123 Forums Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011
    Eastvale, CA
    I avoid any pet food produced by Diamond. TOTW, Canidae, Natural balance have all been produced by Diamond. I used to feed Artemis Fresh, but they too were bought out by Diamond. I now feed Merrick Classic. Fingers crossed, they stay their own company. I feed our little Shih/Poo Blue Buffalo Basic, because she was having trouble with Merrick....acid reflux. I think Merrick is a bit too high in protein for my girls, but haven't found a better alternative, yet.

8. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    I have been feeding Natural Balance for a long time now. Just recently we have noticed a bit of stomach upset with Milo. Runny stools are not fun. We ended up with Natural Balance as he had an upset system and cannon butt is not fun on a daily basis.

I'm thinking we need to change, but I'm not sure as to what just yet. I know we will have to take it slow since Milo does have a sensitive tummy. I just told my husband and his comment was he thought that they had changed it.