Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Wet vs, Dry?

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by Fasb's Owner, May 7, 2014.

1. Fasb's Owner

Fasb's Owner Forums Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    So last night he wasn't too interested in dinner. Ate most of it though. This morning, very little interest in his bowl. After a bit, I spooned out some moist food and gave it to him on a small plate. Ate a little bit, but still not very interested. That's odd.

I did get him to eat some by mixing in moist food with table scraps, treats, etc. He readily eats stuff like that (he loves bagels). His vet and I both feel this is behavioral, mostly. He eats what he likes, basically. He's not losing weight. Weighs about 31 pounds. Other than the eating, he appears normal. He had a parasite check recently, so it's probably not that. Also had his teeth examined and cleaned a couple months ago, so that's likely not it.

We have been allowing him more treats lately.

Any ideas what I should feed him? I haven't varied his food much in the past several years. He eats the same brands he ate 5 years ago. Think changing brands would help?

I'm wondering if he gets too much food. Portion size is the same it's been for years: 1/2 a cup of dry food twice a day + (if needed) a little moist food to flavor the dry (not a lot) + various treats and what-not. He'll be 12 at the end of summer. Does that sound like too much for an older dog. It almost seems like an appetite issue.

He doesn't seem ill. Demeanor and habits are normal. He seems happy and healthy. This has been going on since November, so it's not a sudden change.

I've discussed this with his vet. He's been to the vet twice in the past week (Adequan shot and a different vet for neuro issue). Since Decmember, he's been to the vet about a ten times (checkup, 6 Adequan shots, a teeth cleaning, a referral to have the neuro issue examined, etc.). They've never noticed anything alarming. Our vet thinks it's behavioral.

I do notice he's panting a bit this morning. Could be pain? Could be a lot of other things. As I said, this has been an issue with him since the fall.

Any ideas? At a minimum, it seems like a diet change is in order. It's been obvious for several years that he wasn't too interested in his dry food. He has eaten it though.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  2. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    Have you tried a salt-free broth over the kibble? It would moisten it. I think if it was one of mine, I would try this as well as some canned food. Years ago, when my Hamish was recovering from pancreatitis, the vet (who I really respected) suggested mixing in prescription wet food to his kibble. The girl in the pet store just about had a fit, told me I would confuse him. I told her it was vet-prescribed, and she shut up. We do what we need to to get them to eat. Perhaps a change of bowl might help. Mine are picky about their water bowls.

3. Fasb's Owner

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    Haven't tried broth. That's how we started giving him moist food - we'd smear some on top of the dry for flavor when he didn't want to eat. Thinking I might go out this afternoon and pick up a couple things and see what works. We haven't changed brands for wet or dry food in years, so maybe he's lost interest in the flavor.

It really does seem behavioral. He was laying around when I went into the kitchen for lunch. Within a couple minutes, he came and sat by my chair - waiting to see if I'd toss him a table scrap. Also, this started around November last year, which wasn't long after we made a conscious decision to being so strict and spoil him a little (medical problems worsening, it's becoming obvious he's in the last phase of his life).

If this keeps up, I'll call his vet on Monday. Hate to do that. Vet just saw him a week ago and I doubt there's anything new wrong with him.

I've thought about changing bowls, but haven't done it. He's historically been finnicky about his food and water dishes.

What's a reasonable amount of time to expect them to eat in? Someone suggested that I only leave food down for a half hour. Fasb used to eat very fast, so I tend to start trying to encourage him to eat if he doesn't go to his bowl in 5 min or so. Should I just put the food down and leave him with it for awhile?

Edit: Anyone heard of Cosequin affecting appetite or taste? His change in appetite started last November. Just occurred to me that we started giving him Cosequin daily around then. Think he started on Cosequin in October (late September at the earliest).

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  4. Fasb's Owner

Jan 21, 2013
    Morgantown, WV
    Pet store owner told me today that Fasb's canned food brand - Natural Balance - is good for dogs with allergies, but is rather bland tasting. I picked up a couple different cans/flavors to try, along with a broth-y stew in a packet called Mixables.

Anyone know anything about Natural Balance? Is is bland tasting to dogs?

5. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    I feed natural balance because it's the one kibble so far I've found that doesn't give watson explosive diarrhea... he generally eats it fairly well. Sometimes he pokes around at the bowl, yesterday he looked at me like I was crazy feeding it to him.

Since his attack, he's been getting all sorts of tasty morsels to either take medicine or after I clean his wounds.. or yeah, because I'm a pushover and feel bad for him.... I wonder if he is starting to realize that treats are better.

For a few days after he wouldn't eat it without baby food or chicken and rice mixed in.... he went from 20 to 22 pounds in two weeks because of it... oops... I wonder if he's learned that I'll give him something tastier if he balks... maybe the same with Fasb?