Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Funny Questions about Shelties

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Jess041, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Cooper'sMama

Cooper'sMama Forums Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    Haha! Some people even ignore the fact that she has a name and they just call her opossum :(

2. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    I always do that as well with the name... with the long, fluffy coat and designer sounding name I think it makes them seem like little "froo froo" dogs, and I have most definitely been shown lately that is anything but the case.

I always tell people when they ask about the shedding that my cats shed way more than he does. He also isn't particularly prone to matting, except behind his ears (his coat is quite coarse- could be why?) so he doesn't get brushed all that frequently- probably why he still hates it.

3. melbell

melbell Forums Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2013
    Erie, Pennyslvania
    I always get asked if Ruutu was a border collie (he's tri) and then the only ones that guessed it right are people who told me they own/owned a sheltie before and just loved them. Though, he's 18" and 33 pounds (muscular/big boned) so I could see where they might think of him as one. Luckily, Honey has never been mistaken for anything but a sheltie (sable)

4. Sumac3890

Sumac3890 Forums Sage

Sep 12, 2008
    Fort Myers, Fl
    I had some one ask just yesterday if mine were border collies. Must be they don't see the brown on them.

5. roxyllsk

roxyllsk Forums Enthusiast

Apr 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    People always thought my sable boys were 'little collies'.

I have a bi-black and a blue now. Everyone thinks the bi-black is a border collie, and one lady with a sheltie actually told me that he must have a lot of collie in him because his nose is 'too long' (um no, he is actually a very well bred sheltie from show stock, mom and dad were both confirmation champions). Everyone thinks my blue girl is an aussie with a tail.

But I also get compliments on how well behaved they are in public - even the blue who is 7 months old is well behaved. They are very polite when greeting people and other dogs, and they love everyone.

I get lots of questions about how much maintenance my bi-black boy is. He has a super long and beautiful coat. They ask me who I take him to for grooming and are surprised when I tell them he's not all that much work, and that I do it myself.

6. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    runt

Kaleigh gets referred to as a runt border collie alot when we are out and about. Cracks me up, and then I am asked how much and what type of hair products am I using on her as she has such glossy black fur. I don't use anything, she just eats organic and it shows. She gets brushed alot because she likes to roll in stuff. But I have had people stop me and ask if I use salon products on her coat or which groomer do I use they want to try them. I haven't ever taken any of my shelties to a groomer. Her parents are obvious tricolored, but she is basically black and white, with the tan eyebrows, lower jaw and one paw. Her face looks like her dad's, and even the breeder was surprised how she ended up, but she is bigger than both her parents at 8 mths...and MORE fur than either of them had, ha...Come winter in CO, I bet I have a poof baby as my previous ones always grew heavy winter fur. With the new sable-ish coming in November, I am dying to see what they think she is. She is the biggest girl of the litter, so I bet she ends up bigger than her parents as well, and even now her coloring is WAY different from her siblings...all my shelties ended up on the larger size, and their fur coloring didn't resemble their parents. But they all ACTED sheltie through and through, no exceptions!

7. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Not exactly on subject, but we were traveling with Cody and stopped at a Sonic drive in to eat. I was throwing some trash away when a fellow walked up an said "traveling with a Sheltie? I recognized the bark!"

8. Sparta

Sparta Forums Regular

Jul 29, 2014
    Norway
    Sparta has gotten plenty of collie and mini-Lassie comments. A few border collie ones (considering we're in farming country and the BC is the only known working dog), one was from a woman who had owned two shelties - one of them a tri. ("Is it a border collie?" "No, it's a shelt-" "Oh my god a SHEEEELTIEEE!!") At about 10 weeks she even made a grown woman cry from cuteness.

My favourites, though, are "Is that one of those Dwarf Lassies?" and "Is it... is it a cat?"
    :lol:

9. alonsoe

alonsoe Forums Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2014
    Spain
    OMG! I thought that it only hapens in Spain, where the breed is really unkonwn....:(

Now I see that the common "it's a lassie!!" is one of the situations we all be much times that we want....:no:

When I say it's a sheltie....you must see their faces...unable to understand "how do you write this....?" so at the final I say "it's like a lassie, yes, but it's a different breed". But It upsets myself a bit :(

Questions about price are also the other question I hate! first I did say "aprox."....now I don't say nothing.....do I ask them how much cost their.....? so, why they do that horrible question?

The other day someone told me that there is a mafia in a village near my town, who stole good dogs to breed with them cladestinely...out of law...:eek2:.

So I have decided to tell to unkonw people who ask.....that they are a mix betwen a collie and another dog, and that someone has given me them free...:wink2: They'll never realized what my dogs are....

10. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Ah yes, the grooming comments. Now that's something that I get a lot too, and it gets like an old record after a while.

I've been asked that question a couple of times - once by a dodgy person. So I say they were quite cheap because they aren't a popular breed so breeders can't charge much for them. Which is the absolute truth - maybe you could say this to people who ask. What I don't say is they've become popular in the last couple of years so the price has doubled.