Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

When to microchip?

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Judyg, Jul 27, 2014.

1. roxyllsk

roxyllsk Forums Enthusiast

Apr 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    I had my puppy microchipped last week while she was being spayed. The rescue provided me with the chip and it was already registered to me.

My older dog was also done when he was neutered.

It is a pretty big needle. I can understand why you'd want it done ASAP but the thoughts of sticking a teeny puppy with that big needle really bothered me. So, I have been extra cautious about open doors and such.

2. Cooper'sMama

Cooper'sMama Forums Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    All of mine were done at six weeks

3. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Cubby was chipped last week when we got shots. It was a big needle and I sort of gasped. However, he actually reacted worse to the regular multi shot needle. He didn't even flinch for the chipping. I am SO glad it is done though after recent online discussions about chipping.

4. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    New baby will go for a well puppy check up on Thursday and I will see what they recommend. Our old vet is now semi retired and only works one day a week so we will see the new one who bought the practice.

5. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I was going to wait until neuter but I don't have a set date for that and felt I better chip after some of the stories going on.

6. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    When we got Milo he was already chipped. He was 4 months old. I'll ask my breeder what he recommends as well. I know she will get a chip pretty quickly though.

7. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    I will go Wednesday for my vet check and microchip. Collar tag (I'll get that made today) and microchip, and occasionally the club offers tattooing. Yup, my new boy won't be able to get away with any canine crime, he will be easily identified!
    :biggrin2:

8. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    At all of 2.2lbs Lacey didn't get chipped at the vet. He wants to wait until she gets bigger. I'm not going to rush it.