Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

leash that she can't chew

Discussion in 'Clothing, Leashes & Collars' started by Shelby's mom, Apr 10, 2012.

1. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I'm sorry if I'm being pushy here, but I'm going to reiterate that the solution is NOT in finding a chew proof leash, but to get her to stop chewing it in the first place.

I don't have much advice as to how to deal with that issue itself....I'm sure there are others on the forum who are better trainers than I, so hopefully someone will step in with advice. But I do know that chewing through leashes is NOT acceptable and this behaviour should be stopped.

My tuppence worth.

2. Sumac3890

Sumac3890 Forums Sage

Sep 12, 2008
    Fort Myers, Fl
    I would get a long 20ft leash for the beach. I am not a fan of retractable leashes and saw a neighbor with a young Dobie in one last week and the girl had no idea how to use the leash or walk her dog.

3. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    This is what we used on the beach when the pups were young and did not have a reliable recall.

It is a great leash! My mom uses it all the time with her setters and it is very sturdy.

The difference with this leash and the retractable one is that if they grab it in the back of their mouth, they can't snap it in one bite, like they can do with a retractable leash. This is strong and sturdy so if your dog grabs it, it will not bite through it in one chomp like you can with a retractable leash.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  4. Tagg

Tagg Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Brantford, On
    I went to the local dollar store and bought a 30' long line made of 3/4" webbing to allow Phoebe to wander further afield in the bush. I used it to teach Tinsel to have a lead on so that I could feed it out quickly if he tried to balk. I have taught all my Belgians and Westie puppies lead training with a flex lead - still have the original and use it nearly daily - never had a dog learn to pull on it but I can see how, in less experienced hands, one could teach bad habits on it. I love it because it helps to prevent me from trying to put physical pressure on the puppy if it wants to go the other way. My mantra is cajole, encourage and reward but no pulling. I don't use one for walking near traffic. I never allow a dog to mouth it's lead even though most puppies will try it. I agree you need to work on this consistantly. I bet that little sheltie has figured out the different ways to foil your attempts but I know you can outsmart him.

5. xerospin

xerospin Forums Enthusiast

Dec 11, 2010
    Taiwan
    http://www.muttgear.net/

I think you might want to look into one of these vir-chewly indestructible leash :p they are light and thin and comes in many colors! I think one size down is fine for Shelties as they don't tend to pull as hard as other breeds.

6. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Well I got her the 20ft leash that was mentioned previously. Took her to play inthe creek this morning and it worked great. She does't chew her leash nor would we allow it. What she did with the retractable leash is she would turn around and I guess see it in front of her face. I think she would grab it to move it away and like danisgoat said and immediately it would be chewed through with one bite. With the long lead it can be loose and not pulling in front of her face so she doesn't bother with it.

Thanks for all the help!

7. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Glad to hear that it worked for you and thanks for coming back and letting us know! We appreciate the feedback.

8. GothicLove4Pets

GothicLove4Pets Forums Novice

Nov 20, 2012
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thank you for this advice as a new owner of a tug-of-war leash player Sheltie. I know you posted this a while back, but I took Bandit into the field in the middle of my development around 8pm, and while playing games, he'd grab his retractable and shake his head violently, growl, and get overly excited.

My mother gave me this leash, and she honestly doesn't know the breed at all. I don't even know, and I grew up with my other Sheltie, Brandy! I looked at the thickness and width of the lead when I got home, and I am SO LUCKY nothing happened. It was almost as thin as a USB cable! :eek2:

Lesson learned with luck. Now i'm looking into long leads so he can frolic, yet know his place when I tell him to "heel." He knows the command loosely, and I have a special thick reflective leash at night, since I live in the city and walk him along the pavement with some cars coming by pretty fast. I keep a tight leash, don't worry! :wink2:

But again, thank you. I don't want Bandit loose AGAIN! :uhoh:

9. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    The 20 ft leash has been working great for us. We took her for a 6 mile walk this weekend on an old rail bed that has been made into a nice walking trail. This allowed her to have the freedom to run around the path and wooded areas yet allowed me to keep her close when people were around. She has not tried to put this leash in her mouth once. We use her short Lupine leash when walking around town. I do love that leash too.

10. Justme

Justme Forums Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2011
    Minneapolis, MN
    As for regular leather leashes, a coating of Bitter Apple got my boy to stop mouthing it. (I applied it immediately prior to usage.)