Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Ari - 3yo male sheltie - Depressed / Acting Strange :(

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Arithesheltie, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Arithesheltie

Arithesheltie Forums Novice

Jul 2, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Our beautiful boy is almost 3 and is a happy, healthy boy. He was de-sexed about 6 months ago and put on a little weight after this. He now weighs 12kg, which is about 2kg over what he should be as he is not that tall!
    Last week, he woke up not wanting to go for a walk and would just sit there still, rather than barking and geting excited to go outside! WE knew something wasn't right. When I got home, instead of barking, I heard nothing... after fearing teh worst, I walked out to see him sitting on our decking not even facing the door where he is usually scratching at to get in! WE took him to the vet and he had a slight sore neck also. After some inflam and antibiotic injections he seemed to be a little better. 2 days later and he is still moping around, not happy to see us when we get home and not eating a lot. (1/2 of what he would normally eat if that!)
    ALso, when we go to pat him he shys away and also he won't bark!!?!
    Normally we use a command that sends him crazy like there is a cat around and he will bark for ages.. he refuses to bark.. maybe his throat is sore also?
    Taking him back to the vet tonight, but thinking it may be Thyroid or Meningitis perhaps?? Anyone out there have any experience similar that they can share? Woudlreally help ease our minds as he just isn;t happy and just wants to be away from us and sleep. Even when we go up to him and hug him, he iws quick toget away and be on his own.. very strange behavioiur. WE have also noticed that he used to be very receptive and friendly with other dogs from his dog training school, now for the past few months he is scared of other dogs, even to the pint of nipping them if they get into his space. :cry: He's a very friendly dog and well trained, he's just been "off" lately.

Please help if you think you know something to look for...

We just want our bright, bubbly boy back!!:confused2:

Thanks!!

2. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Symptoms of thyroid issues for dogs includes depression and lethargy. So thyroid could be a possibility. As a human who has hypothyroidism, it does sound like that's what could be going on, but you won't know until he has a blood panel done. Once you have a confirmed diagnosis, most of the struggle is just making sure he's on the right does of medicine. And for me, it wasn't a huge deal. Although it seems like over the last couple years my doctor has to keep bumping my dose up higher and higher..

http://healthypets.mercola.com/site...dism-symptoms-and-prevention-in-pet-dogs.aspx

We do have a couple people on this forum that have dogs with thyroid issues, so they will be able to chime in. Please keep us updated on his visit to the vet!

3. Lunatic59

Lunatic59 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    One of the other things you should have him tested for is Lyme. While the joint problems are a prevalent indicator, it doesn't happen in all cases and can make your poor boy feel "off". It's an insidious disease of varying symptoms. Our blue merle tested positive for Lyme and the standard 3 week course of antibiotics returned him to his playful old self until he passed in January. It took my doctors 6 months to figure out it was Lyme causing my problems and only after I insisted they test me.