Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Does anyone else have a dog with itchy ears?

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Abby's Dad, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Dang! This is a real mystery!!

2. Abby's Dad

Abby's Dad Forums Enthusiast

Sep 16, 2009
    West Granby, CT
    Welcome to my world.......now you can just imagine how frustrating it is for me.

Oh, lets not forget her possible soft tissue injury that is on the back burner.

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    The ingredients for the ear cleaner are "Isopropyl alcohol, boric acid, gentian violet, colloidal silver."
    Gentian violet is used as a stain to identify bacteria- it turns them purple. I'm sure that its staining properties are why there is a warning. Gentian violet also has antibacterial, antifungal, and anthelmintic properties- something to be desired for helping ear infections.

I might need to check into this for Callie's recurrent fungal ear issues:smile2:

4. Danny's mommy

Danny's mommy Forums Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2011
    Michigan
    Just want to let you know that I live in your world too. My Danny Boy has allergies and one is dust mites which are everywhere. He has constant bouts with rashes and cortisone stopped the itching but he cannot be on it so long. Tomorrow he is going to the vet again. He is on grain free wellness fish and sweet potato or blue buffalo salmon grain free. I am soooo frustrated and feel bad for him. I just wonder if it is genetic.

5. Lynnel

Lynnel Forums Enthusiast

Nov 21, 2011
    Oceanport, NJ
    Went to the allergist, max throid is too low. Max has been on ultra hypo allergenic food and he didn't scratch except for the ears and nose, and of course shaking thr ears, which we had been cleansing also frompast experience. He does have an infection so he is on antibiotic, but also higher thyroid meds and he hasn't been shaking his ear or scratching. His thyroid was 1.5 and it should be 3.5 to 4. All the other symptons max has had point to the thyroid. So hopefully we can get this under control and then switch to low fat diet for his pancreas again. Have them do the entended panel blood work and if his thyroid is on the low side insist on it being addressed. I left one vet, then another still wasn't addressing both issues so i finally found an allergist who works wirh alot of shelties and knows there issues. I also did alot of reading and support from this forum. CHECK HIS THROiD! took almost 3 years! Do not give up.

6. sable

sable Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008
    This really is heart wrenching. I know how hard you have worked to see Abby improve.

My human doctor preaches to everyone about real Dannon Yogurt how healthy is to eat, to keep yeast infections away. I give my two some plain
    ol cheerios (not the honey ones) with a dap of yogurt on top.

Hope your ear med improves the situation for keeps.