Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sheltie teeth

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by bkzoo, May 8, 2014.

1. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    I use Tropicean dental gel - it has made a big difference in the teeth. I also have added Himalayan-type hard cheese chews for my dogs, who are adults. I would work on getting your pup used to brushing first. Even a piece of gauze wrapped around your finger will work.

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    How do you get the gel on? I tried the gel today and with Tully's clamped teeth, and pulling away all the time I found it harder than trying to brush.

3. Emmasmom

Emmasmom Forums Sage

Apr 2, 2010
    Canada
    I stand them between my legs and then lift the upper lip. I run the bottle tip quickly along the top teeth only (you don't need much) and then let them go. It only takes a couple of second for each one. Natalie is like Deska - clench the teeth. I have to hold the lower jaw with one hand and use the index finger on the other hand to hold the lip up. The tip of the bottle will fit under the lip. It took some time but they learned if they hold still it's over very quickly. I found standing over them works best.