Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Appropriate age to begin agility

Discussion in 'Agility' started by Simba13, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Sealtainn

Sealtainn Forums Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2011
    california
    I feel like there is a lot of misleading or conflicting information out there.
    It's not uncommon to hear or read online public comments from nationally recognized expert A to recommend waiting until some point, yet to learn in a less public way that the same expert will disregard their own public advice.
    If questioned you get one of a few responses, like well this dog is special, or this dog is ready early, or, I'm *only* doing it for a short time, or I know what I'm doing & what my dog can do, most people don't really know even if they think they do, so let them wait longer etc.

The more of these experts I get insight from either directly, or 2nd hand from other respected trainers who seek advice from these experts, the more instances I learn that what their public position is and what their actual position is the more divergence I learn.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to have seen comments online where there is widespread distaste for a video or a blog entry or something similar showing young puppies being trained on contacts, jumps, weaves etc.
    Yet, "silently" there appears to be a growing adoption within some circles tied to leading professional trainers to start very early, much earlier than you'll see them making public.
    I'm not thinking of just one or two or even just a handful.
    I'm surprised at how common it appears to be.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  2. Simba13

Simba13 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 25, 2014
    Dublin
    The reason I got Nala into agility in the first place was because she is an extremely nervous dog and has little confidence around people (due to her treatment before she came to live with me). Since beginning contacts her confidence has grown. I am also extremely lucky to have a dog who never ever misses a contact :smile2: !

Thank you very much for all of this advice, I'm going to get her started with targeting my hand right away. I think I will spend a good while getting her used to the bang as she is extremely scared of any loud noise. She does hear the teeter bang at every class when other dogs are doing it but she is always a good distance away. I will gradually move her closer.

I really appreciate all the advice :biggrin2: