Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Eye color

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Judyg, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    When does their eye color become permanent? I was told that Lacey had dark eyes, so imagine my surprise when I was sitting with her at the airport and found blue eyes! Will they change color at this point, or is she going to stay a blue eyed baby?

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    I saw online as late as 4 months. But puppy blue eyes are light and hazy grey-blue not bright solid blue or intense blue.

Do you see signs of changing? You would see flecks. By this point, if she has blue blue eyes, I think they are staying.

3. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    That is really cool, it was not a major deal (not a deal breaker for sure) but I really love blue eyes on a merle. I don't see any changes so maybe they will stay. She was so tiny when she first came that I could barely even see one eye, but now that she has gotten bigger it's easier. We think she is about 4lbs now, which means she has doubled in size less than 2 weeks.

4. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Oh dear, she is catching up to Cubby! It would be unbelievable laughs if after all, she goes oversize! Not gonna happen, but funny to think about.

PS -- we call that THRIVING and with Lacey, that is the sweetest word EVER!

5. dmeyer123

dmeyer123 Forums Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2011
    Eastvale, CA
    Yes, I'd say she has definitely overcome her initial challenges!! She eats like my Lexi....vacuum cleaner style! Also, her eyes do not look puppy blue. I would be very surprised if they didn't stay blue.

When she gets older, your going to have to work hard on keeping her at a healthy weight. With that appetite, she could easily overeat. Agility dogs need to be lean...don't want to put stress on her joints....:smile2:

6. Judyg

Judyg Premium Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Riverside, Ca.
    She is a good, no great eater, but only eats until she is full, I'm still trying to figure out how much to give her. She leaves food in her bowl when she is done.

7. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Blue eyes will be stunning on her pretty face! I hope Flyer's stay dark, because of his eye patches.

8. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    I didn't think the eyes changed color. Every puppy I've bought or bred had the same color eyes from when they opened to adulthood.

9. Jeff

Jeff Forums Regular

Aug 13, 2014
    Massachusetts
    In a lot of breeds puppies have a baby blue almost hazy color that will fade to brown at 3-4 month. No idea if this is typical in shelties though as they seem to have all kinda of unique genes.

10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    when Cran came home at 8 weeks- he had one brown and one blue- they have remained the same.
    Destin also has one brown, one blue- no changes.