Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Best training options for Grits

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by GarryB, Apr 4, 2014.

1. GarryB

GarryB Forums Novice

Mar 13, 2014
    Birmingham, AL
    All I am reaching out to get ideas as to best way for us to train Grits. She is 4 months old now and we are trying to decide wether to take her to a trainer and pay for lessons, order the Order the Hands off do training formula I researched on-line or get a clicker? Does anyone have experience with the Hand off training system? Thanks
    Garry
    Daddy to Grits!

2. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I don't know the hand's off formula you're mentioning, but I highly recommend puppy classes or life skills classes, and yes HANDS OFF, no physical corrections, no leash popping, no collar corrections, no touching the dog to teach a position.

I love clicker and positive re-enforcement training, shaping a dog gets much better faster and enthusiastic results than any other training AND it is way more fun and more satisfying than having to inflict pain and call it training

Good luck, get a clicker (OR you can use the word YES to mark the rewardable moment) really read up on it and have fun!!!! No need to even wait for a class, there is so much you can start training yourself right away :D

3. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    One advantage of a class is you get some socialization also.

4. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Classes are great -- but not the Petsmart kinda class, like with someone who is really good (Petsmart in MY area hires basically twinkies with a couple online dog training classes -- perhaps other places have quality trainers???). I found myself a private school with a variety of classes and levels in an indoors clean facility.

A trainer will take you through things that build on things, watch you and give feedback to make sure you are effectively communicating, and the dog is socialized with people and other dogs. If you are worried, ask to meet a trainer or observe a class to see if you are comfortable with their style.

Basic class is may seem a waste because it is not all that hard to go for sit, down, heel, come, stay, but when you lay the foundations and move into an intermediate class, you have FUN and learn so much. You can try other classes too like agility or scent and more.

I recommend a trainer -- however, there is nothing wrong with working on things at home before enrolling.

5. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Oh and since you are B'ham contact the Dixie Flyers. I know them from Flyball but they are large club that has people that everything. Tell Jeanie that Sca the green dog sent you. I am sure they could recommend local places and are good folks

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    yeah- there's the Birmingham Obedience Training Club and the Greater Birmingham Agility Club.
    I'm sure someone there could help...............

7. Sheltie.Mama

Sheltie.Mama Forums Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2013
    Montana
    I was wondering the same thing with my 4 month old! I think I would like to get in some basic training, I am just not sure now would be a good time to start. I don't want to put it off, though.

8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Cranberry and Jocu both went to puppy class as soon as they were old enough:yes:
    Destin did not get to go to puppy class as we would have only managed to attend 2 classes- it's harder to schedule when your other dogs are going to trials on weekends:winkgrin:

there was so much more free time when Cran was a puppy......................