Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Sheltie Puppy growth spurts?

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by sgtfrog, Apr 6, 2012.

1. sgtfrog

sgtfrog Forums Regular

Feb 6, 2012
    South Korea
    I'm basing this on ALOT of posts that I've read browsing these forums...

It seems like many people are saying that shelties go through a (big)Growth spurt between 5-10 months old. But looking at the sheltie growth chart ( http://bowlingsite.mcf.com/size/size.html) the way I see it, Shelties do most of their growing between 8-20 weeks old ( before they are 5 months old) After that There seems to be little growing maybe 1-2 inches at the most.

I'm aware that all dogs dont grow/develop the same way so I dont assume all shelties go through the same exact process. I'm just looking for general experience with your own puppy =).

How much bigger did your sheltie pup grow from the 5 month old mark? Did your pup go through a growth spurt after 5 months?

Just wondering!

I feel like Milli is already pretty big for a 5 month old sheltie pup=). She weighs over 9kg and is 15 inches tall at the withers.

I LOVE that shes a BIG girl already. I'm just trying to imagine how much bigger shes going to be if they do infact go through a growth spurt between 5-10 months old. I cant wait to see her grow into her adult size

On a side note, We took Milli out for her first walks now that shes almost done her vaccines ( one more to go). Soo funny to see her. She's so cautious about everythign and extremely scared of buses and cars and people. Heck, she didnt even want to walk out the front door leashes or into the elevator. Her second walk was Much smoother. She ran out the door , ran into the elevator , ran out the building. Cars dont scare her unless they make lots of noise but still afraid of buses going By when were on the sidewalk. Interesting to see her interact with the world!

2. Diana

Diana Forums Enthusiast

Sep 28, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Buffy did most of her growing by 5–6 months but she gained about an inch around when she turned a year old. Also, she gained some weight at 1 or 1 and a half. They kind of need to fill out then. Oh, and she gained a lot of hair!

3. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    rule of thumb is girls grow 1" after 5 months and boys grow 2". Again not all of them read the book.

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    pretty sure that Cran grew 3" after 5 months- but then he was trying to be a collie:winkgrin:

5. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    I think Birch is right there with Cran.:lol: He has already almost used up his 2"

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    just more to love and snuggle:yes:

7. mmcginty

mmcginty Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2011
    Jake grew explosively between 4 months and a year. To be honest I quit measuring him for awhile after he blew past 16" (right around the 5 month mark.) He's 21 1/2 inches now so... do the math.

Not that I'm disappointed in the least, he rescued me from being adrift in a sea of pain and sadness, after I lost old Jake, and I love every inch of him to pieces!

But I suspect he's on the high end of the growth spurt spectrum.

8. rose

rose Forums Enthusiast

Nov 30, 2011
    washington
    that is the size Duke (my tri) was. called him my 'wannabecollie'

Attached Files:

9. sgtfrog

sgtfrog Forums Regular

Feb 6, 2012
    South Korea
    wow 21 and half inches!!! thats big!! I wish Milli would get that big.