Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Koji eating the forest

Discussion in 'General Health' started by k9kreationz, Jul 10, 2014.

1. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    All she meant was that what they do on a typical day isn't what a dog typically does. Koji can lie down and sleep if he wants. Like any daycare, it's not like the staff puts them into a nap time, they do what they want...sleep, walk, run, ignore the dogs, play with the dogs, etc. With this place, they walk around, they hike a bit, then play in one area so that some dogs can rest, etc.

2. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    I think some of you are misunderstanding the situation. The dogs aren't forced to hike for the entire time or anything like that. They get to explore the land/forests. I think what tires Koji out is all the stimuli...other dogs, great scents, lots of yummy things to eat, hiking, etc. Even if I went on a 1-mile hike on a casual pace in the forest and was out there for 5 hours, I'd fall dead asleep even if I didn't really walk. Just mentally exhuasted.

The forest eating though, that does bother me and him vomiting up soooo much of it and her blowing it off a bit, DOES bother me.

Do any of you think he'd eventually get over it and just stop eating it? I wonder if he ate a lot and vomited when I boarded him there. He didn't seem this out of it and that was over 4 days worth of being out there with them. I think THAT is what I'm worried about.

Oh well. I was hoping to give him some fun before we moved, but maybe not.

3. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2012
    How is Koji feeling today?

In response to your question about him getting over eating this stuff because of the vomiting.... I doubt he makes the connection.... maybe if the day care owner supervised more and could work on distracting him from it he might decide it's not worth the bother of there was a better choice.... but it seems like she is kind of nonchalant thinking that just because it's not poisonous, it can't hurt him.... an example of what i mean is-- clothes line rope isn't poisonous, but that stuff clearly hurt one of our members little ones when he ate it... Chip I think?

4. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    I would definitely not take my dog to any place where she vomits after I pick her up. What Koji is ingesting might not be poisonous, but it is irritating to his stomach lining and esophagus every time he vomits. It's not something you'd want to put him through.

I also don't like that the daycare owner doesn't seem to think it's an issue that the dogs are eating twigs, leaves, etc.

If there are no other good daycare facilities near by, can you leave Koji at your BF's or hire a dogwalker?

5. Sharon

Sharon Forums Sage

Feb 27, 2008
    Southeastern Ct
    Just curiuos as to why you are posting on here and just not taking him to thevet if your that concerned?????

6. Toffee's Mom

Toffee's Mom Forums Sage

Aug 31, 2009
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Hard to tell, you'd have to go with your own gut!
    Nobody here is going to be able to give you the answer to go ahead and keep doing it, it's ok... because it's too hard to tell from a photo and we don't know Koji like you do! So go with your gut, if you are this concerned what is your instinct tell ya?
    Also time to work on some impulse control games and things so he doesn't eat everything on the ground, are you sue that it's normal?
    I agree that yes he should be exhausted since he is no used to that much activity all day, and yeah that sometimes can go and make their stomach queasy.. and make sure he gets enough water and maybe a spot for him to relax and take a time out during the day

7. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Thanks for your responses everyone. The kinda sucky thing is that I used them for boarding and I don't think there was any issues. He didn't come home sick or anything, just tired (and not like he did the other day).

However, as many of you have said, go with my gut. Although I do think it's a great place and I don't fault them, I know how hard it is to watch Koji and that's just on a normal walk, on a leash, on a sidewalk, so I know they can't watch him the entire time. I mean, even my BF said he took Koji outside with him while he washed his car, and Koji immediately started eating the twigs and leaves....:rolleyes2: so he got tied up elsewhere. The point is, this is normal behavior for him, not sure it will change.

With that, I decided not to take him back. At least not now. Maybe the yummy stuff is from the Spring/Summer. Maybe he'll do better during the Fall/Winter, who knows. For now, I decided to see if my walker could take him out until I move (she can, so yay).

And Sharon, you asked why I didn't take him to the vet if I was that concerned.....I wasn't concerned with him being sick and something was wrong. I was more concerned with him eating all that junk and being sick and doing it on a consistent basis (assuming I'd send him weekly).

8. Sharon

Sharon Forums Sage

Feb 27, 2008
    Southeastern Ct
    I went back and reread your post and it sure sounded like you were concerned.Just glad he is ok!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2014