Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Too Young to spay and vaccinate?

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Sheltie4, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Sheltie4

Sheltie4 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2013
    Kansas City
    My groomer shared this situation with me today, and I was appalled!

As a volunteer with Sheltie Rescue, I hesitate to question another rescue's practices, but this disturbs me.

A friend of my groomer adopted a pit mix puppy from a local rescue, who was spayed and given all immunizations, including Rabies, at 8 weeks old, before being adopted.

Four weeks later, the puppy is now 12 weeks old and (pardon the expression), sick as a dog. Spay stitches haven't healed and she is vomiting and listless. The adopter called the rescue, who in turn put her in contact with their vet, who surmised over the phone that the puppy probably has parvo . . .

None of this make sense to me, but I am not an expert by any means.

Eight weeks is way to young to spay/neuter a dog and too young for a Rabies vaccination . . . isn't it?

and, if the pup got a full set of shots, the first should have been for Parvo, right?

It is unfortunate that there are some licensed rescues out there, that are so full, they just run the dogs through to get them adopted quickly. It is stories like this that give rescues a bad reputation.

Thanks goodness, that our Sheltie rescues are more knowledgeable and caring. I seriously doubt that any of my friends in any Sheltie rescue would put a puppy through this at such a young age.

2. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Sounds more like an infection from the spay/spay stitches.

Rabies should be 4+ months.

If the pup was given 1-2 sets of shots during time in rescue she still would be at risk for parvo. However, I would suspect infection.

See a different vet!

3. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    Sounds to me, just on the face of it, as if that poor pup's immunity was severely stressed.

4. JessicaR

JessicaR Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2008
    Tiffin Ohio
    That poor puppy :( I don't agree with early S & N, but I understand why rescues do it, but there is no reason at all for rabies shot at that age! I can't believe a vet would even agree to do it.

5. Cooper'sMama

Cooper'sMama Forums Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2013
    Americus, Ga
    poor pup! Rabies is given at 16 weeks and we spay and neuter also at 16 weeks in our area, never any sooner.

6. Sheltie4

Sheltie4 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2013
    Kansas City
    I too, question why the vet would perform surgery and administer the Rabies shot at such a young age.

7. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    That's a lot for an adult dog, let alone a puppy with a not yet developed immune system. It's going to be a long road for this puppy, if it survives the onslaught.

Irresponsible and sad.

8. Pdljmpr

Pdljmpr Forums Novice

Jul 3, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Hi new to the boards here.

We just adopted a sheltie/ aussie mix in May. He had all but one distemper and rabies and is neutered. He has coccidia, been trying to get rid of it since we got him. He is on a stronger med for it now. Hoping this knocks it out. He is 4 months 9 days old right now.

We adopted him from the humane society here. One of his litter mates ended up with parvo and we had him tested right away. He also had round worms which are gone now. Growing like a weed...19 lbs.

I don't like that they S/N right away but if that is their rules I understand.

9. Mom2Melli

Mom2Melli Forums Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2013
    Central California
    Pdjmpr -- sounds like a ditto of my adoption of my shepherd. Had coccidia, giardia, round worms, tape worms. Early neuter. Early shots (had to go with 4 rounds). Parvo on site when he was there though he didn't get it. Took a couple months and a lot of $ to clean him up, but so worth it.

Welcome to the board.